Celotex/Kingspan For Loft Insulation?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Bigwizzard, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Bigwizzard

Bigwizzard New Member

Hi All,

I need to insulate the roof space of a small porch/toilet which is a bit of an odd shape (on wall is at an angle to the others). Due to the shape the roof was constructed (not by me) with odd centers to the ceiling joists, which all makes the fitting 270mm thick insulation impractical.

Question is what thickness of Celotex/Kingspan would be needed to get the correct 'u' value?

Thanks, Bigwizz

2. Sage

Sage Member

3. Swiss Tony

Swiss Tony New Member

I am 99% sure it is 120mm.

But you could ask:

www.celotex.co.uk

or

www.kingspan.co.uk

4. Charlie Far!ey

Charlie Far!ey New Member

Swizz Tony you havent got a clue pal ... thats because you dont know you vegetable.

Thickness has nothing to do with it you failed biology experiment. Its a Uvalue and for an internal space its 0.34W/m2K so if it can be achieved with a 1mm layer all the better. Kingspan are the leaders in the field and will give you lots of choices by which this can be achieved.

This Tony is a **** and wouldnt know his a55 from a hole in the ground. He's a failed handyman not an authority

[Edited by: admin5]

5. Bigwizzard

Bigwizzard New Member

Well Mr Farley, thanks for that reply.

In fact, I asked what thickness Celotex/Kingspan is required to give the "u" value reqd by buliding regs. Not, simply, what thickness insulation is reqd. (Which would of implied any type of insul)

And, as suggested by Sage I looked at the seconds website and there it was in black and white - 120mm required.

I think you owe Swiss an apology.

6. Swiss Tony

Swiss Tony New Member

Ha ha ha.

And you could add Charlie, that it is 0.35 not 0.34.

Swizzy

7. Swiss Tony

Swiss Tony New Member

Charlie, see how your response got me all confused.

0.35 is for walls.

0.2 for pitched roofs
    0.25 for flat roofs

Whoops

8. Charlie Far!ey

9. Swiss Tony

Swiss Tony New Member

Chassy boy, I think you will find that Mateyboy asked what thickness he needed to meet the correct U value.

Now I assume that the 'Correct U Value' would be the one in Building regs?

Giving a link which says that different thicknesses of Kingspan give different U values isn't a great deal of use is it?

Have you still been taking your anti aggression tablets?

What do you get out of slagging people off when they either ask for advice or give it? Does it make you feel important? Do you think everyone thinks you are great? I bet you are great to work with.

10. Charlie Far!ey

Learn how to read you cabbage.

Look at the tables and the thicknesses are shown and the Uvalue they will achieve.

These are Kingspan TW products. "* Bling * " Lights come on at last.

I guess dizzy wizard has seen that, thats why he's not posting stoopid rubbish like you are. He is probably nibbling his humble pie just now wishing his keyboard had packed up while he was typing in his message.

No-one here 'thinks Im great' - I dont want them too but I guess your insecurity will give you that impression.

I despise liars, ******** and schmoozers who offer 'advice' on subjects they know little about. Which one are you Swizz Tony?

11. ­

­ New Member

> No-one here 'thinks Im great'

That's a fact.

12. Bigwizzard

Bigwizzard New Member

Swizz Tony you havent got a clue pal ... thats
    because you dont know you vegetable.

Thickness has nothing to do with it you failed
    biology experiment. Its a Uvalue and for an internal
    space its 0.34W/m2K so if it can be achieved with a
    1mm layer all the better. Kingspan are the leaders
    in the field and will give you lots of choices by
    which this can be achieved.

This Tony is a **** and wouldnt know his a55 from a
    hole in the ground. He's a failed handyman not an
    authority

Been away for a couple of days and was some what bemused to see the cyber fight evolving between Swiss and Charlie!!

I've quoted Charlie's post because, as a response to my original question "what thickness of Celotex/Kingspan would be needed to get the correct 'u' value?" he goes off on a bit of a terrorist tangent!! As I was asking what thickness of kingspan/celotex I needed to get the correct "U" value THICKNESS had EVERYTHING to do with the answer I was looking for!! So Charlie why did you state

"Thickness has nothing to do with it" ??

Anyway, cyber fights are just not my "bag" but I thought I post my thoughts as I had asked the original question.

And for what's it's worth the porch has been insulated with 120mm Celotex (apart from a little bit which has 2 layers of 50mm - please don't tell the building inspector :))

13. bigdonker

bigdonker New Member

Hi if its any help i have used these people the last few times prices seem very good www.bmdinsulation.com and pretty good for delivery.

14. bigdonker

bigdonker New Member

Hi if its any help i have used these people the last few times prices seem very good http://www.bmdinsulation.com and pretty good for delivery.