Central heating doesn't work but hot water does

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by gazza012345, Mar 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. gazza012345

gazza012345 New Member

hi, i have a logic heat 18 boiler installed, and also have an unvented hot water heater. today when i got up there was no heating, only hot water. when i put the central heating side of the controls on, the status on the boiler stays at 0 for no demand for heat.

I set the room thermostat higher, and the room thermostat + controls are both wired. there's no air in the system, radiator thermostats are all set to high. i set the 2 port valve to central heating and there was no change.

When i put the hot water side of the controls on, the boiler fires up fine, and i can also manually move the 2 port valve to heating and the radiators heat up no problem while its set to hot water on the controls.

is this just a problem with the 2 port valve? or is it another problem? any ideas are really appreciated, thanks

2. TartanPaint

TartanPaint Member

I'm not a boiler expert (hopefully you'll get someone along here who is) but when I've had this on 2 combi boilers on renovations in the past, both times its been a failed diverter valve which isn't switching over from HW to CH. in both cases the value needed replaced. not sure what you mean by the "2 port valve" but like I said im not an expert

3. gazza012345

gazza012345 New Member

hey, cheers for the reply. a diverter valve does pretty much the same job as a 2 port valve, just the diverter valve is for combis... as far as i know at least. i think it may be the valve thats the problem, not 100% sure tho since i didnt think it would stay on 0 for no demand for heat after manually adjusting the valve

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  4. Listen to what your CH two-port valve tells you. When you turn up your room stat (with your timer also 'on'), the valve should whirrr for a a couple of seconds and also produce a distinctive 'click' as the microswitch is triggered.

It's that MS that actually then turns on the boiler.

When you turn the room stat back down, the same should happen - a similarish whirrrr and click.

So, have a listen :)

If it goes whirrrr but no 'click', try clumping the valve body repeatedly with summat soft but firm - enough to give it a shock but not damage it... See what happens.

5. gazza012345

gazza012345 New Member

Cheers for the reply, i just tried it out there but the 2 port doesn't do the click or whirrr when i adjust the room stat with the timer set to on

6. Ah, that narrows it down...

Ok, it's either that the timer ain't sending an 'on' voltage to the room 'stat, or the room 'stat ain't sending that 'on' voltage on to the valve, or the valve is kaput.

Do you have (a) a volt meter or other mains tester, and (b) a working brain?

If so, you can do some testing.

The first would be to open the wiring centre - the white box all the valve and 'stat wires go to - and identify the wire that operates the valve (I'll have to look it up...)

I think it's the brown of the valve that becomes 'live' when the timer and 'stat call for heat.

7. gazza012345

gazza012345 New Member

8. gazza012345

gazza012345 New Member

i dont have a volt meter or anything similar unfortunately, i think it would be a friday probably before i could see about getting one... is it worth replacing the valve? would cost around £40 with delivery, or do you think i would be better off getting someone in to look at it?

9. I'd personally like to check that there's power getting to the valve motor first, before going to the hassle of replacing it.

It should be a simple test, and I think is worth doing rather than resorting to diagnosing a fault by replacing components on a test and see basis.

Having said that, the chances are that it's indeed the valve motor.

If so, you'll then have the option of chust replacing the motorhead, leaving the actual valve body in place so no need to drain down.

Meanwhile, we don't really know if it's the valve, 'stat or timer - or a wire in between.

A mains tester screwdriver is an ok alternative to a voltmeter, and may even be preferable in this sort of case - it has some advantages like being instant and only having to place it on one terminal.

So your call whether to hold out for a multimeter. :)

10. gazza012345

gazza012345 New Member

yeah your right, a mains tester would probably be easier, ill grab both today tho since there cheap and useful to have around. The W-C is a bit of a mess to take a picture of so ill have a wee poke around with the mains tester when im home and see if i can find anything before taking any pictures, cheers for the help

11. gazza012345

gazza012345 New Member

ok so from the valve wiring diagram... brown is switched live from room stat to the motor,
    grey is permanent live, orange is switched live to the boiler, and blue is neutral.

so while the timer/room stat are working the brown wire should be live going to the motor... if the brown is live and the neutrals reading no current/the motor wont run, its just a faulty motor yeah?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  12. That's pretty much it!

You won't be able to test the neutral except with a multimeter set at AC Voltage - testing across the blue and grey should show 240. You can therefore assume that the neutral is ok.

Then, as you say, check for the brown going live when the timer and 'stat are both calling for heat.

That particular vale does have a removable head, so you won;t have to drain down your system - assuming the valve part is in good condition. You might also be very lucky and find that the cable going to it actually plugs in and isn't hard-wired - do you know if this is the case with yours? How lucky would that be?!

Anyhoo, let us know what you find.

13. gazza012345

gazza012345 New Member

well there was power going to the brown wire, so yeah seems to be the motor... also looks like im lucky and the cable can be detached haha gona order the part now, cheers for the help! really appreciate it

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  14. Coooooooooool :)

And hopefully soon hoooooooooot :D

15. gazza012345

gazza012345 New Member

hahaha i hope so, been freezing the last couple of days... parts coming tomorrow :D

16. gazza012345

gazza012345 New Member

well the part came today, unfortunately the new one didnt have the clip on wire so had to re wire it but its now sorted, and heatings back on :cool::D cheers for the help! much appreciated

KIAB and Deleted member 33931 like this.
  17. COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLllllllllwwwwWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRMMMMM!