Central Heating drain valve screw snapped

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Matt Vernon, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Matt Vernon

Matt Vernon New Member

Hi all,

I've just had to drain my central heating, on closing the valve again the screw seems to have sheared off.

I've turned the mains water back on again and there doesn't seem to be a leak I'm just wondering if I've just caused myself a massive problem or if I can just leave it (we do have other drain off valves in the system)

Thanks

Matt

2. Matt Vernon

Matt Vernon New Member

Basically this:

DSC_0505.JPG

Has sheered off the end of this:

DSC_0504.JPG

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If it isn't leaking then leave well alone.

Never been a fan of drain cocks in lockshield valves, sheared a few off over the years trying to remove them, were they have been ovetightened or seized.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  4. Matt Vernon

Matt Vernon New Member

Ah that's good to hear, I think I just over tightened it, which is odd as I didn't tighten it that much! I'm just about to go out and was worried I'd come back to an indoor swimming pool!

Thanks for your

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

They are pretty soft metal,only need to be nipped up, otherwise you can easily chew up the O ring, just need to watch it when heating is on, as it might weep when it warms up.

6. Matt Vernon

Matt Vernon New Member

Ah that's good to hear, I think I just over tightened it, which is odd as I didn't tighten it that much! I'm just about to go out and was worried I'd come back to an indoor swimming pool!

Thanks for your reply!

Matt

7. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Not an issue until you need to undo it...then its a case of cutting the pipe and replacing the lockshield.

8. Matt Vernon

Matt Vernon New Member

We've got another (not quite as accessible) drain off on the same level, it's a bit older but hopefully won't be seized up when the time comes!

Thanks

Matt

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could alway seal over it with something like Stixall,as your never going to be able to remove.

10. Matt Vernon

Matt Vernon New Member

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep an eye on it when the heating is on tonight and pick some of that up tomorrow if there's any leakage.

Matt