Certifying Wok

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by frogger, Nov 22, 2014.

1. frogger

frogger Member

When a qualified electrician examines a domestic installation in order to grant it a certificate, does he 'open it all up' to physically look inside as well as testing it or does he just test it with his meter to check the earth etc?
    Or does it depend on what sort of work has been carried out and on the electrician?

PS. This should be titled Certifying Work and not Certifying Wok but I mistakenly left out the r and can't 'wok' out how to edit the title. :cool:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

An existing electrical installation cannot be "granted" a certificate by anyone other than the person or company representative who installed it. If you are referring to an EICR (carried out by a third party) only an Electrical Installation Condition Report can be issued. This is NOT a certificate, as it states it is a REPORT.

Certificates only apply to new work and cannot be retrospectively produced by someone else.

FatHands likes this.
  3. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Exactly, UP has said it all!

4. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

Does it need a certificate? will a EICR not do

B J

5. frogger

frogger Member

I was under the impression that if the home owner carried out certain electrical jobs (an outside socket for example) they needed to be 'passed' by a qualified electrician who would then issue a certificate.

6. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

No that's not the case at all Frogger.

7. frogger

frogger Member

What is the case then seneca? If I want to install an outside socket myself which I am confident I can do (I live in Wales BTW) how do I make it 'legal'?

8. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

There's nothing legal or illegal about it Frogger, because the bs7671 regulations are not statute. The only time that legality enters into it is for work that has to be notified to Building Control such as new consumer units and work in "special locations" such as bathrooms and some other situations and then notification to BC is then a legal requirement.
    Provide you consider yourself competent to do the job it's ok, just ensure that it's installed to the requirements of part "P" of the building regs. ie, rcd protected, suitable cable and protection for the cable, earth loop impedance satisfactory etc. If you're not able to do the testing yourself you could get a local sparks to check it for you (advisable) although he wouldn't issue a certificate.
    I am assuming Wales has the same rules as England btw.

9. frogger

frogger Member

Hello Seneca and thanks for your reply. I'm sure I read that in 2013 England relaxed some of it's part P regs but Wales has left them as they were. The joys of having a devolved government.

10. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yes, our lot have taken kitchens out of the notification requirement unless new circuit's are involved so people can now mess about as much as they like with their kitchen electrics as long as they're just altering or extending existing circuits!

11. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

In that case installing an outdoor socket on the wrong side of Offa's **** means the work is Notifiable to Building Control

12. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Have you installed a "new circuit" ie taken from the consumer unit on it's own mcb or just taken it from an existing socket (in which case it isn't a "new circuit" by definition of the regs.)

13. frogger

frogger Member

I intend to run it from an existing socket but to replace the socket with a switched fused connection unit. I will be using 2.5 single core cable through a short length of conduit (once it's through the wall).

14. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Jeezus. D_y_k_e gets ****'d out on this forum

15. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Sounds fine then.

16. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Hi Frogger,
    Installing an outdoor socket in Wales is notifiable (taken from the part p) document available here.

outdoor_socket_notifiable_wales.JPG

17. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I'm glad you found that Fats, why our lot took things out of the notification rules Christ knows, especially kitchens!
    And outside sockets aren't notifiable here any more unless a new circuit, bloody daft I reckon, it could still be dangerous whether on a new circuit or not couldn't it.

18. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

No prob's Sen. Agreed mate. Outside is as close to true earth you can get, so it makes sense to keep it notified.

19. frogger

frogger Member

In section J, it states: ...and requires RCD protection. I know outdoor sockets do come supplied with an RCD fitted but if you install one that doesn't (and many do not), will running the external socket from a fused connection unit be sufficient?

20. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

No.
    If you don't intend using an RCD socket you would have to either use an RCD FCU, or provide RCD protection for the circuit you intend spurring from.