Changing Cistern inlet valve

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by John Leivers, Jul 26, 2016.

1. John Leivers

John Leivers New Member

I recently developed a leak on my inlet valve just under the cistern where the nut screws onto the plastic pipe. I've tried some PTFE tape with no success, now looks like i need to replace the entire unit.
    I've got the old style valve with the ball on the end, i'm told that i'm best to get a valve with a brass thread on instead of plastic. Could anyone help and advise which would be the best part unit to replace this with, as i can't find a replacement part with a brass thread that could be used on my current set up with the ball and arm, hope someone understands what i'm talking about.
    Many Thanks
    John

2. If you are swapping the whole caboodle, you are almost certainly better off going for a different type - a Fluidmaster, for example.

This won't help your leak, but it's chust a better type of filling valve.

The leak issue is a common one, and often does come down to the threaded inlet part being made of plastic. However, it should be ok. Now't wrong with having plastic here. So I wouldn't prioritise looking for a brass fitting.

Good chance that if you remove the existing valve and give it - and the nut connector - a good close look, you'll see where the issue is. Things like slight damage to the round bottom edge. Or a missing or damaged fibre washer in the 'nut' part.

If you can see what the possible issue is - the sort of damage I mentioned above - then there's a good chance you can sort it on your existing valve if you want. Eg - replace the fibre washer. Wrap PTFE around that washer and the surrounding spigot part so's the washer will have a PTFE 'cushion' when tightened up again. And perhaps a light flattening of the plastic inlet valve fitting's end.

3. John Leivers

John Leivers New Member

Many thanks for your quick reply, I did try yesterday to wrap PTFE tape around the thread plus I changed the fibre washer as it had split, I nipped the nut tight with a spanner but didn't want to overtighten it, all seemed ok, but this morning although it's not dripping, it was slightly wet around the area, I gave it another slight nip with spanner but an hour later it's still wet around the nut, if I did decide to change there seems to be loads of different types in screwfix, even the original plastic one, not sure which one would be best and would they all fit with my current set up or do I have to change other parts as well as ?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  5. John Leivers

John Leivers New Member

Pics attached

Attached Files:

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The one I linked to should be perfect, it's also height adustable.

When you remove old one, make sure the hole inside cistern is clean & free of any residue you find in bottom of cisterns, otherwise it might not sit flat & leak.
    And don't overtighten fitting.

7. John Leivers

John Leivers New Member

That's brilliant, many thanks for your help :)

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

One other thing you might to shorten the stem of the flush lever a bit, job to be 100% sure just looking at a photo & I haven't got a Fulidmaster to hand.

9. John, are you 100% certain the leak isn't coming from the upper nut - ie from the cistern itself? Tiny leaks can make their secret way down the threads and appear in unlikely places.

Worth a 16th-turn 'tweak'?

Failing that, the Fuidmaster linked to by KIAB is a beaut :)

I hope you won't have any issues with the brass threaded part sticking out any further, or less, than the existing one - that can be the major hassle.

KIAB, does it come with a nut on each side of the cistern wall so's the threaded inlet length can be adjusted?

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No, only one nut.

It should be ok,& it's quiet.:)

11. Not the KIAB of toilet inlets, then... :oops:

(Walks away whistling...)

12. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Heard a new one the other day!

Isolate the water unscrew the nut holding the inlet valve on just above the last two threads. Then hacksaw off. This should give you another chance if you have cross threaded.

I go for brass fluid master like above say every time now I hate plastic *****.

Haven't tried this but I'll be giving it a bash next time