changing fill valve on concealed lower toilet pan

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by cidfenmaria, Jan 15, 2015.

1. cidfenmaria

cidfenmaria Member

Hi
    A new bie, hope to get some info.

After flushing the loo takes ages to refill water. I researched online it says I should change the filled valve/shank valve. The upper cistern is exposed and sits on the toilet pan but the lower pan have both sides concealed and walls down either side hiding the pines below so I can't have wrench access anything behind.

Do I change the fill valve the same approach as the open pan type which have side entry? If I pull it out would it snap the pipe connection causing bigger problem?

Thanks
    Stephen

2. Ha now you see the practical disadvantages of these poncy toilets!
    The toilet pan will be secured to the floor with two or four screws with caps on so you have to take these out. Then remove the screws holding the cistern to the wall. Then gently ease the entire pan/cistern assembly forward until you gain access to the filling valve.
    Obvs by this time you will have isolated the cold feed and emptied the cistern.
    You might well find that the stem of the filling valve contains a flow restrictor (like a plastic hedgehog) removing same will improve the flow.

3. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Just pray the pan was fitted with a Flexi connector and not hard piped to the Pan whilst the scant framework was open then boarded and tiled afterwards! :mad:

4. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

relax, it will be on a flexi pipe to the cistern and a flexi soil conection, how else could the plumber fit it?,,, unscrew the pan and pull out, expect to lose some water from the base of the toilet, have some towels ready, we plumbers hate these toilets too, the salesmen don't explain to the customer they are not serrviceable freindly, :(

5. meady

meady Member

Not always, I've seen loads of toilets that go all the back to the wall piped up in copper, was not a happy bunny when I pulled the toilet out :(

6. And I've fitted a few where a bracket holds the pan connector and then you just shove the whole thing back and hope for the best.

7. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I had a barney with bettabathrooms, they sent out one of the fancy toilets but with a standard toilet seat that fits from underneath,I explained to the customer that if i fitted it it would make hard work to replace it when it broke or worked loose or just wanted a change, the bettabathroom salesprick said " thats the seat for that pan",,end of,,,So I fitted it and made it plain to the customer that I was not coming back to replace it, :(

8. What about those baths with the taps on the long edge against the wall. I always say when, not if, the taps fail you'll have to remove the bath and bottom row of tiles. Style over form?

9. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

More common than ya think TomP!
    Been working on some new builds where the bathroom fitters have fitted back to the wall Pans against studded 4x2 framework and because the framework has yet to be boarded over and tiled they used solid 4" pipe to connect up as they obviously were able to access their hands through the openings.

It was only when I pointed out that once the boarding and tiling had been completed afterwards then how the **** was any Plumber going to reconnect if they removed the Pan? :rolleyes:

10. cidfenmaria

cidfenmaria Member

Thanks for the advices and experience from above it's very helpful! Luckly It's a flexi pipe and I managed to pull it out and replace the fill valve (still the position of the nut under the fill valve is very awkward big wrench wont reach have to get a new one from shop). Now it gets the water into the cistern quickly and smoothly.

However it comes with a little issue which I've never come across. the water in the toilet cistern leak into the toilet pan when I turn the basin sink tap in the same bathroom and it stops as soon as I turn the tap off?!

What do I do now?