Charging phone trips RCD out.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Joseph1995, Apr 26, 2024.

1. Joseph1995

Joseph1995 New Member

Just FYI I have no idea what an rcd is but upstairs in our house we have a single plug socket that when I plug my phone into it trips the rcd downstairs which turns off the oven and downstairs light, probably more I haven't checked.

Is this an expensive job to fix, do I need to take any precautions? I recently put up 2 wall lamps so I drilled about 1.5 inches into the wall and I'm worried I hit a wire. However I didn't drill directly above or bellow any sockets.

I used a electricity detector and it beeped but when I put my other hand on the wall it detected 0% behind the wall. When I did the same thing (with my hand against the same wall) on a socket it didn't go to 0% so I believed it was working if I "grounded" myself to the wall.

As far as I have tested it's only that one socket upstairs in the bedroom that trips the rcd out. Is this expensive to fix? I have zero knowledge of electricity and DIY jobs on it. I just want to know if it's dangerous. I'm not using it ATM. Hopefully I don't die of an electric fire in the night because some socket it faulty or I've drilled into it.

2. LearnMore

LearnMore Well-Known Member

The rcd is doing it’s job if there’s a fault (sounds like there is). Twice you have asked if it’s an expensive fix, it we have no idea what the fault is at the moment, where you’re located (costs vary up and down the country).

Are you sure there’s no sockets nearby? Maybe you nicked one of the wall lamp wires?

3. Greg64

Greg64 Member

F
    Does this socket trip with anything plugged in?
    If it’s just the charger then it’s faulty. If not it sounds like you’ve damaged the wiring, which seems like a neutral/ earth fault.

4. Wellwisher

Wellwisher Well-Known Member

Phone chargers are generally double insulated so unlikely to be the charger. As above does it trip with anything else plugged in?

nigel willson likes this.
  5. redrum

redrum New Member

He can't post as it tripped when he plugged his laptop in.

6. Timbo66

Timbo66 Active Member

Neutral and earth connections in socket reversed?

7. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

All gone quiet, phone is flat :)

WH55 and LearnMore like this.
  8. The two sockets have lights on them to suggest there is power but as soon as I try to plug something in and use it, it trips the RCD in the house. If I plug my phone charger in then it trips the house but keeps blinking that it's charging/not charging/charging.

Could it be an earth problem?

9. Hager the Horrible

Hager the Horrible Active Member

You said you were plugging your phone charger into a single socket upstairs originally. Now you mention 2 sockets that "have lights on them".

Does your phone charger work without any issues when connected to other sockets in the house?
    Have you tried plugging anything else into the socket where you saw the issue? Maybe a bedside lamp or something?

10. LearnMore

LearnMore Well-Known Member

Sockets and lights?

11. Refuse to Bend

Refuse to Bend Active Member

Has this socket been replaced?