Chasing walls

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by tore81, Nov 11, 2015.

1. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Apologies as I have posted something similar.

I have recently chased out the back boxes in my house.
    I am now on the vertical I have coving and I wish to get behind it. Trying not to destroy it or will I have too make a notch. I was hoping to drill up behind. Hmmm

Should I use a grinder and chisel out of
    Is it better to rent a wall chaser less dust. The building is stone render then skim.

Planning on lifting upstairs laminate floor and lifting a floor board to get the cables up to 1st bedroom. Then leaving excess cable for next socket.

Any advice or experiences would be great

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

You could cut a channel in the coving right back to the wall to run the cable in so you will then only have a channel the width of the cable to fill up. There is a permitted zone whithin 150mm of the ceiling so it will be compliant with regulations.

3. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Ok thanks Seneca!

I have a multi tool so that should be ok.

I don't quite understand your meaning of 150mm. Do you mean from the nearest wall.

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

No, from the ceiling down. Permitted zones run vertically and horizontally from an accessory, (socket, switch etc.) and in corners where 2 walls meet, 150mm each side of the corner and also horizontally 150mm below the ceiling.

5. KIAB likes this.
  6. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

I wish to go from the loung straight up to the bedrooms upstairs chased in the wall accessories below

7. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

8. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

I do have an SDS! I will stay away from the coving with it tho.

Will come in use for chasing tho thanks.

Not sure about this ceiling zone Sen! If I go straight up surely I am then entering that zone?

9. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Exactly, that is a "permitted zone", sometimes called a "safe zone" so what i'm saying is just that you can run the cable straight up behind the coving rather than chasing that bit into the wall and then through the ceiling.

FatHands likes this.
  10. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Ok I'm with you! Great cheers

11. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

I read that permitted zone completely wrong. Doh! Makes complete sense!

I was reading it as you shouldn't run cable in a permitted zone. But when you said safe zone the penny dropped. It's been a long day:(

Thanks and makes complete sense now

12. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

I chase up to the coving, then drill under the coving.

It's time consuming getting a decent fill/repair on the coving... especially if it's going to be you staring at it for the next bunch of years.

13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Drilling behind the coving is same technique as drilling behind skirting. Nice long drill bit, say 300 mm gives you a bit of "wiggle room" to get best angle of attack

Chase up to cove, then angle drill bit and drill behind and up, as long as there's not a joist in the way it's plain sailing and no damage to cove

In theory as its hollow behind cove your only drilling through plaster board ceiling

14. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Ok cheers guys some great tips. It's by the TV in main lounge so best not touch it.

Fingers crossed.

15. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Shouldn't be too hard drilling behind the coveing if you are careful, chop the chase to the bottom of the coveing and it will give you the depth to get behind, the deeper the plaster the better.

As for using the angle grinder to cut the chase, I only do this to customers I don't like. Much less dusty to use an SDS with a wide chisel bit in.

tore81 likes this.
  16. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Stone render?
    Do you meant cement render, or stone with a cement render then a finish coat of plaster?
    Often walls are covered with a waterproof render, then finish coated in plaster.
    Cutting through the render can allow damp to enter.

17. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

It's finished plaster, then cement render, then stone walls. How else would I bury the cables? Does anyone else see this as a problem

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

SDS Channeling Chisel makes it easy to get behind coving, skirting without damaging them.
    [​IMG]

19. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Thanks Kiab

Shall I not use the grinder for the sides as mentioned above.

Thanks

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member