Chimney Breast Removal

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by DaveWestMidlands, May 2, 2016.

1. DaveWestMidlands

DaveWestMidlands New Member

The stack was removed some years ago, and now I want to remove the chimney breast from the bedroom. It is a detached 1930s house.

I can see that there is a horizontal wood beam in the attic which appears to rest on the chimney breast and then continues onto the external wall. The beam is about 2" by 3". The only thing resting on the beam are the floor boards in the attic, which is partially floored. The beam is not attached to any roofing timbers (as far as I can see).

I would like to do the removal work myself (I enjoy that sort of thing).

Is it safe to remove the chimney breast in the bedroom, because the beam is resting on the external wall?

2. Are you sure it is not a ceiling joist, and there is not lathes or plasterboard nailed to it.

3. DaveWestMidlands

There are lathes nailed to it.

As far as for it being a ceiling joist: I can't see that it is attached to any of the timbers in the roof. It seems to just run across the ceiling from one wall to another.

Thanks, David

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Need some photo's.

You'll most likely need to sister a joist along side exsisting joist & join up with another joist or some suitable point.

5. DaveWestMidlands

Thanks, I'll do that.