chipboard floors and new regs!

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by oh shit, Jan 20, 2008.

1. oh shit

oh shit New Member

hi chaps, new to this site, long term sparks domestic like but only prop qualified past 2 year. Most of my domestic is floor boards. just tackled chipboard. Holy jesus. With all the new regs etc iv been considering getting out anyhow (i used to work in IT) but this suff is a joke. I'm sure you have argued both subjects before but I know a good electrical wholesaler that has told me of many guys leaving the industry. big shame but i can understand it. Guess it leaves mor work for you die hard's hey. :>)

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Absolutely no idea wot yer on about mate but, hey ho!

3. stranger101

stranger101 New Member

I agree chipboard floors are a pain in the ****.
    Only way to deal with them is a circular saw but watch out for pipes.

4. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Chipboard floors

Once you finnaly get 'em up after half of it falls to bits,they never are the same again,squeak and squeel under foot

There cheap nasty and used far too much

Bring back floorboards but its all about cost and how quick you can get em down

Could use a circular hole cutter (very good but watch your wrists do not snap) with the blanks

5. Could use a circular hole cutter (very good but watch
    your wrists do not snap) with the blanks

I am a fan of these.
    Saves much time and many a noggin.
    :)

6. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

Circular saw set to no more than the depth of the board. (pipes!)

7. Rabbit Rabbit

Rabbit Rabbit New Member

Chipboards are a bit of a pain only in as much of the make good work that is required and theer are some regulation issues.

To cut, as mentioned above set depth of skill saw and rip it up, easy.

Do what electrical work you must.

To make good if you did not cut across joists everywhere then where there is no joist you must insert a noggin beneath to provide support and to stop squeaking.

The regulations make life very hard indeed as the boards and meant be tongue and grooved and that they be sealed with suitable glue.

Prefer floor boards any day.

8. wally

wally Screwfix Select

Circular saw set to no more than the depth of the
    board. (pipes!)

Not foolproof,I set the saw to the estimated thickness of the board, cut clean thru a c/heating pipe. There was an RSJ underneath the floor & the pipes hoped over it so most of the chipboard underneath was scooped out to accomodate the pipes

9. Ripped Off

Ripped Off New Member

Circ saw aint much use when they've glued the boards down as well.

As for the new regs well those that have an advanced copy is there anything in the regs - doubt it

10. wally

wally Screwfix Select

I often just cut a section, sometimes the full length of the room, rip it up the best way I can then fit a new piece in (with glued supports along the edges ie 2x1)

11. Ripped Off

Ripped Off New Member

Rip it up - yep then let them get a chippy in to relay the floor. Saves hassle no time wasted and paid and off. :)

12. ProDave

ProDave New Member

Reminds me of the time I fitted some downlighters in a kitchen. Bedroom above was T&G floor boards. No problem I thought.

Lifted boards, only to find bitumen impregnated chipboard 1" below floorboards. Yes it had been a flat roofed extension, that had a second storey built on.

At least I could hack holes in the chipboard where I needed without having to make the chipboard good.

Then recently on a new build, the plumber was a bit slow and despite plenty of warning didn't get all his pipes in. The chippies came regardless and laid the chipboard floor. The owner was livid when he saw that the plumber had come back and hacked holes everywhere in the new chipboard floor to finish his pipework and just patched them up after him.

13. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Perhaps related to this

Ran cabling to downlights,tackers come and screwed up boards,spreads come and skimmed ceiling

I came,went upstairs and had to lift the entire floor to find me cables!

Cheers easy!

14. djdisco

djdisco New Member

Chipboard! I go through the ceiling and give them the number of good plasterer or walk away, just tooo much hassle to get them back right.
    DJ

15. oh shit

oh shit New Member

Cheers chaps. I had a feeling you were going to say something like that...run to the hills etc :>)
    In amongst my swearing at the darn floor I was wondering if there was some amazing tool or technique that I just hadn't happened upon but I now see the technique is to walk backwards rapidly, waving to the customer ;>)
    I've seen the tools that cut a circle and you drop a cap in after but that still only gives you basic access. Used a circular saw in the end. What a mare. There is a market here for some smart tool designer me thinks!

I only asked about the regs as it only seems yesterday I was doing the 16th and 2391 now I hear it's 'all change again' but there are so many rumours around. Guess I'll just have to wait until the latest edition of the Beano...sorry...regs, comes out :>)

16. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

New regs are out, mine came last thursday