Chop saw

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Oddjob72, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Oddjob72

Oddjob72 New Member

Need some advice on a chop saw for general fit use.
    Got a decking job to do soon and was after some advice on a chop saw or sliding mitre saw.
    Budget is about £80, any advice for a general purpose saw would be much appreciated, even been looking in the B&Q website....

2. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Better to spend a bit more on a quailty sliding mitre saw, 254mm diameter saw,would cover most needs.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
    tore81 likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You might be better trying to find a second hand one on fleabay.

tore81 likes this.
  7. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Bought a Bosch one about four years ago still going.

I did the mistake of not buying a sliding chop saw,

I can get away with it but I will have to buy another one in the near future.

Like many tools If you buy cheap you buy twice. Also cuts arent as accurate etc!

Plus struggle to get parts or anyone to fix them.

Maybe chippie has the best idea

8. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The OP only wants to spend £80 so it's tat or second hand.

10. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

The usual then.

11. Davmac

Davmac Active Member

Cheap is dear, buying 2 @ £80 is not an option.
    Your budget is £80 and you get one for that and it packs in when your 3/4 way through the job what are you gonna do after you've kick your **** for not spending more on a decent one?
    Half decent saw at £150, dose the job, sell it for £70 .....
    Even if you are never gonna use it again when you've done the decking, at least you can sell it on and break even on your £80
    ;) Good luck.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

There are bargains to had on Ebay, but you have no warrenty, plus you don't know what sort of life the saw has had.

Buy once, buy quailty, extra expense now, but a quailty saw will last many years, my first Makita lasted around 15 years,longer if it hadn't had a accident, replaced it with a Bosch GCM 8 SJL.

TORES: Got a Bosch GCM 8 SJL here,around £258 or less now,a bit less than what I payed, it's only a single bevel, but I can over come that problem, since that saw was released, Bosch have brought a double bevel version, the GCM 8 SDE Professional,can be found for £340 or under.
    Did consider another Makita, but the quailty on their saws was lacking compared to the old Makita saws.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    tore81 likes this.
  13. Davmac

Davmac Active Member

Is renting a decent chop saw an option for you ? o_O

14. Oddjob72

Oddjob72 New Member

Was thinking of buying one more than renting as you never know what will come up in the future.

As I'm a DIY'r i don't want to spend too much as it will sit unused most of the time- thanks for the advice though.

15. Oddjob72

Oddjob72 New Member

Surely if it failed 3/4 way through i'd take it back under warranty and get a replacement unit to finish the job off.

16. Oddjob72

Oddjob72 New Member

Thanks for this, 3 year warranty too, not had any issues with Aldi stuff as a DIY'r, wouldn't use it on a full time job though.

17. Davmac

Davmac Active Member

Time is your greatest commodity.
    Do it right the first time. Measure twice cut once and all that ;)

Oddjob72 likes this.
  18. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Mine was purchased second hand off ebay, took a while to find and did have to travel far to get it. Most of the ones I have seen have been badly looked after and thrown into the back of van. so will have to pay extra for the condition.

The saw was only used by a woodworker in his garage workshop so was in very good condition. Only had to replace the power lead.

19. Davmac

Davmac Active Member

[​IMG]

If you do get on with your saw (whatever one you get) and wanna take up decking thing out, I can recommend this BEASTIE !!
    Weighs in about 8 x's your £80 budget, but its accurate, great to use (and shouldn't set your shed alight like some cheaper versions ;)).

tore81 likes this.
  20. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

OOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I love new tools.
    That one just looks so cool.:cool:

I could play with that all day.:)