Christopher Hitchens.

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by Ryluer, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

In coalition with Ukip maybe, but not on their own.

2. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

There was no coalition, was there ;) ;)

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

No, they managed to rig enough votes in key areas to gains the seats required to single handedly being the country to it knees. ( if your poor)

4. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

The Tories will privatise everything now.
    Yesterday my wife was trying to get a "Cameron bribe" of a transfer of her unused personal tax allowance me.
    In our case this is worth the maximum of £212 cash , I believe.
    What a bl**dy performance. An hour and a half on line with no result.
    Experian and the Post Office and some other private organisation have to vet you before you can access the Inland Revenue/government website to actually make your claim. I thought it was only people on benefits that are made to jump through hoops. It is just jobs for the Tory fatcats. (We got it eventually by a 10 minute phone call)

5. The political situation could have been worse.

It could have been a coalition betwixt the Tories and UKIP.

shudder

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  6. PaulBlackpool

I think I may have said this before, but IMHO our only hope is that on the most contentious issues the Labour. SNP, Liberal Democrat, Green and left wing NI (if any) opposition is backed up by sympathetic Tory backbenchers who ignore their Whip.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  7. proby

proby Active Member

Would have been interesting to read the posts on here if labour had won and the IMF were calling the shots like the surely would have been in no time at all.

8. PaulBlackpool

The last time the IMF was called in was in 1976 under a Labour government.
    The Tories under John Major in 1992 did not have their finest moment on "Black Wednesday" when he spent billions coming out of the Exchange Rate Mechanism .
    I was at home that day . My mortgage rate at 9 am was 8.375% by 6 pm it was 15%.
    This was quite a blow to us at the time.
    The bank rate altered hourly and at one stage reached 22%.
    To the best of my recollection the IMF was not involved in the Blair and Brown administrations.
    Was not there talk of Brown being the Chairman at one time?
    I think both of the main Parties have hopefully learned lessons from past mistakes.
    If labour had won the election outright I do not think The IMF would have intervened.
    I am not sure whether this would have been the case with a Labour & SNP coalition though to be quite honest.

9. PaulBlackpool

I may be wrong on the above . I may have confused Major's interest spike with Thatcher's earlier spike.
    Both Tory though!:)

10. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

Both Tories are full of jackonory though ;) ;)