Clay Soil Pipe Connection !

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Monkey Wrench, Sep 29, 2011.

1. I'm in the process of replacing a cracked s-trap WC pan that was cemented into a clay soil pipe exiting vertically into a tiled concrete floor. I removed the cracked pan and expected to be easily be able to chip away the remaining concrete/china in order to expose the clay pipe collar. However, this has not been the case as the china will not budge from the cemented collar (see pic). The collar of the clay pipe is virtually touching the tiled floor and there is no room to get an angle grinder in under the collar. I do not want to use to much force trying to break the cement/china away from the collar for fear of damaging the clay soil pipe as it is in a concrete floor.

Before anyone asks, yes there is a bag inside the soil pipe to catch all the debris !

Any helpful advice would be appreciated. 

Thank you.

[​IMG]

2. isolated

isolated New Member

i would take the rubber off the new pan connector, slide it inside the china that's still there then cement it in again

3. Thanks for the advice isolated.

That's certainly worth considering but I'll need to see if the pan connector will actually fit inside the remains of the china. It might possibly be the only solution !

4. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

I would break it out...but then I'm a pro who has done many of these. I'm not a dafty DIYer ;)

5. Thanks for the response Captain leaky (I'll ignore the unecessary sarcasm).

I have tried "breaking it out" but the china/cement is set solid and "Daffy DIYer" common sense tells me that too much enthusiasm could eaasily crack the clay pipe beneath floor level and that would obviously be an absolute nightmare !

I should mention that the exposed clay collar is the top of a swept elbow which starts to bend a couple of inches below the bottom of the collar (floor level).

6. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Then get a proper plumber to do the job! It's not difficult! Either drill the stub or chip it out! Any plumber worth his salt will be able to sort it out easily.

7. I'll try and drill it out as I've already tried "chipping" with little success (see pic) as the china/concrete is rock solid and will not budge.

Thanks again.

8. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Pfft! I hope you ain't a short-course-cowboy!

It ain't difficult!

9. balchy

balchy Member

Use an angle grinder with a diamond blade and cut slots from the inside, this will help to weaken the china and cement. Then you can "gently" chisel the weakened sections out.

10. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Monkey Wrench is a cowboy. He referes to his 'customers' in other posts. Gawd 'elp 'em! :(

11. Thank you balchy.

A sensible answer at last.

12. snezza31

snezza31 New Member

Do as Balchy suggests, just take your time and it should break off clean.

I made a little tool for this job a few years ago and have used it a couple of times since. Get a slightly worn stone cutting disk from your angle grinder (4") and thread a nut and  4" bolt through the centre with a couple of washers either side . Tighten up with a spanner, then fit the whole thing into a mains drill. Start the drill and lower it into the inside of the clay soil pipe and start to let the disc cut into the sides of the pipe with a circular motion. The pipe is quite soft once you getr through the initial glaze.
    Once it has cut through the wall of the pipe then you can just lift the top away.

It works a treat!!!!!!!!

Snezza31.

13. Thank you snezza31.

I take it the tool you refer to would be used for removing the clay pipe collar after the concrete/china stub had been chipped out as the internal diameter of the china currently remaining is less than 4 inches.

Thanks again.

14. snezza31

snezza31 New Member

Not necessarily MW. that was why I said use a slightly worn 4" stone disc. If the Dia of the clay pipe is 3 1/2", then a 3" disc will be perfect. It does work,trust me!

Snezza 31.

15. snezza31

snezza31 New Member

How far down does the original ceramic pan spigot go into the clay collar?

Snezza31

16. Approximately 2 1/2 inches. As previously mentioned, the clay pipe is a swept bend which starts almost immediately after the ceramic pan spigot.

17. snezza31

snezza31 New Member

MW, as suggested earlier, cut a load of vertical slots in the collar and break off the individual pieces so you are left with a rough top on the soil pipe/bend.
    Then use the grinder disc as I described before to clean the top of the pipe flush with the floor. Then all you will need to do is insert your pan connector into the clean pipe.

Snezza31

18. Thanks again Snezza31. I take it that theres no way of removing the china/cement without removing the clay collar as well !

19. snezza31

snezza31 New Member

Well, why would you want to do that? If you take the whole top off the pipe ( china spigot, cement and collar ) then you will be left with a nice clean flat top flush with the floor.
    You should be able to then get a Multi-Quick pan connector to suit your new pan that will fit straight into the pipe.

20. OK, I'll remove the collar completely. Thanks for all your help Snezza31.