cleaning a new roof

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by jim38curl, Jul 7, 2015.

1. jim38curl

jim38curl New Member

Hi, I've just finished fitting a new roof using marley modern smooth grey concrete tiles. The problem is that I used a disc cutter with water as dust suppression to keep the neighbours happy but now all my cuts are covered in a dried up white sludge along with various white drips and stains over the roof. I thought a bit of rain would clear them but even prolonged brushing with a stiff brush isn't doing it, just seems to spread it about and made it look worse. I've been thinking about the jet wash but marley don't recommend the use of them on a roof. Has anyone else encountered this ? Thanks for any advice.

2. Bit of brick acid is what i normally use then rinse with water

3. I think I'd only use acid if there was actual chemically-adhered cement or similar - seems like overkill here (and could possibly do some damage or stain).

Jim, pressure washer is the sensible way - and I think you'll find that you'll get good results holding the lance tip well away from the tiles so no risk of causing any of the problems that Marley may fear.

The pressure force falls off quite dramatically with distance, so just keep the tip at a distance that'll do the job and you will almost certainly be fine. Hopefully it'll do the job nicely at a lazy distance of a foot or so. If you need to get closer than 5 or 6", then you may first wish to do a test piece to check the tiles aren't being affected.

What finish do the tiles have - they don't have a gritty coating, do they?

(You will need to let the tiles dry before you see for certain that it's worked!)

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You should try to find out why it is not recommended to power wash. If it is to prevent washing away of any 'top-coat'(as in smooth finish) then fine.

If it is merely because of the ingress of water, then obviously can be surmounted by only spraying from the top downwards(never sideways or up obviously).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. Acid doesn't damage or stain no disrespect to DA put done this loads of times works very well every time after i have cut up valley's and hips lots of different make and colour tiles

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  6. jim38curl

jim38curl New Member

Thanks for the replys guys, much appreciated. Water ingress isn't an issue so much at the moment, my bungalow is a devastated ruin inside at the moment and a good flood would probably clean away some dust. I think the way foward would probably be to do a test tile and see what happens. The dried and stuck dust I think just needs serious agitation to remove it from the small pores on the tile, is the idea of the brick acid to dissolve it in the pores then or to loosen it. Thanks again. Jim.

7. No dis' felt, caveman :)

I have no personal experience of using acid, but always assumed it was for 'set' concrete etc. - stuff that simply cannot be removed any other way. I'd just be worried that anything that dissolves concrete tile dust could also attack a concrete tile surface.

But I stand corrected, no probs.

If Jim has access to a pressure washer, then he knows there shouldn't be any risk from using that.

I don't know what the best solution is, but I know what I - as a risk-averse cove - would try first :)

8. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

A good firm brush and something you just can't buy from a builders merchant, good old fashioned 'elbow grease'. ;).

9. jim38curl

jim38curl New Member

Hi guys. Just as an update incase anyone else finds themselves in the same situation..

I spent another few hours scrubbing the tiles with a stiff hand brush and the nozzle on the hoze on the concentrated setting. After drying the tiles again looked no different.

I then moved to the jet wash but tried a broken test tile first. I concentrated the nozzle on one area for around 30 seconds which appeared to do no damage to the tile, however, upon drying the top surface of the tile had been " scarred " slightly. I ended up having to compromise between a slightly dusty but unscarred roof, even then it took a day to do and I had to redo many parts after drying.

If I get a chance I may give the patio cleaner / brick acid a go but to be honest unless you wanted to be really fussy it doesn't show that badly now and I'm sure after its weathered for a while it will look the same as others in the area.

Anyway,

Thanks to all that took the time to offer advice, it was very much appreciated.

Jim.