Cold radiator upstairs

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Alim, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Alim

Alim New Member

Hi there

One of our bedroom radiators is cold and I can't seem to get it working. We have a 3 storey house with quite a few radiators

So far, I have done the following:

I have replaced both the TRV and also the lockshield
    Removed the radiator and flushed it out well with a hose
    put X800 2litres into the system
    Bled the system
    Tried to balance the system also
    Bled the central heating pump (Wilo Gold 60 pump)

However, still, all radiators are warm but this one is not
    If I close the TRV, open the lockshield and open the bleed screw then the top bit of the radiator gets warm but not the lower, however, with the bleed screw closed the whole radiator is cold

Any ideas, would be really grateful for any pointers

Thanks

Alim

2. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

Is the system open vented or pressurised?
    Is the cold radiator in a 3rd storey bedroom?

3. Alim

Alim New Member

Managed to fix it, although I had replaced the TRV and Lockshield, there was remaining sludge in one of the pipes; taking off the pipes from the radiator and opening each valve seemed to clear the sludge.

All working perfectly now. Thanks for your help

Incidentally, would a magnetic filter help with sludge

My mistake has been not using inhibitor, I will leave x800 in for a bit longer, drain and refill with x100.

Would a magnetic filter provide additional protection? Can they be fitted as DIY job?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

When you come to drain the X800, well flush the the system, I used X800 a few months ago here, left it in for several weeks, flushed well, but I drain down other week to add another radiator & I still had a large amomt of sludge come out:mad::oops:.