colour scanner

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by hoss, Jul 30, 2006.

1. hoss

hoss New Member

Does anyone know if dulux centers have got a scanner to mix a colour to match a piece of material ect.
    And can i get satinwood mixed as well as emulsion
    Cheers.

2. bigjules

bigjules New Member

A Dulux Pro centre should have the scanner - yes to satinwood.
    Been painting long?

3. leyland have them

4. paintycait

paintycait New Member

Macpherson's has them, Johnston's has them, Crown has them...every bloomin'one has them, B&Q has them too. Just some are better than others.
    Many only match to the nearest colour in the programme or range...which can sometimes be miles out.
    Others have machines that actually will give a break down of an exact light refraction meausrement of each part of the colour, a spectrophotometer I think is the grooviest...but I'm not sure...cool grown up name for a thing though

5. hoss

hoss New Member

Cheers for that,
    I priced a job up for a lady who had dark red hallway and she wanted it re painted with something light, after looking at my dulux charts she couldn't find one she liked and then mentioned that she works at Tescos and they have there own brand and she would get some test pots herself. Tescos paint??? OMG after 3 coats it might have covered if im lucky, so i convinced her to get the colour she wanted and i would get it matched with dulux. As you said cait it was matched to the nearest colour in the dulux range but it was spot on.
    I gave the walls a coat of white at the same time as doing the ceiling then the top coat covered in one so RESULT.

6. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

If it's for a customer, do yourself a favour Hoss. Get him/her to sort out the colour with your paint supplier. Then if the paint colour is not quite right it's their problem, not yours. There are some customers who are a real pain when it comes to colours so I do not comment (other than to say 'thats nice') even when it's hideous or suggest colours to anyone. I leave it to them to sort out the colours

I see Painty has been at the dictionary again

7. hoss

hoss New Member

Yes i agree BB,
    I never suggest a colour to remain blameless.
    And why don't you admit it we all have a soft spot for cait and her very informative posts and don't forget that females haven't got the ability to give just a yes or no answer unless it ends with ive got a headache.

8. Burlington Bertie

Burlington Bertie New Member

100% with you about Painty. She is a national treasure for decorators.

9. Telmay

Telmay New Member

I am with you all who say leave the colour choice to the punters - I was in B&Q when they were trying to match in the nearest colour - A very light neutral was matched to green! Go there with the spretrum-what-ever painty!

10. decorator A1

decorator A1 New Member

watch out I once scanned a wall colour, nearest match "snowgoose" painted a whole semi 2 coats in one day, owner came home and complained about the grey walls as the house was originally white which had turned grey.

11. metal mickey

metal mickey New Member

watch out I once scanned a wall colour, nearest match
    "snowgoose" painted a whole semi 2 coats in one day,
    owner came home and complained about the grey walls
    as the house was originally white which had turned
    grey.

Love it. Best laugh for a good while