Combi boiler flow pipes

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Garry Ingham, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Garry Ingham

Garry Ingham Member

Can anybody give me a bit of advice. We have a combi boiler and the water feed pope to the radiators starts at 22mm, goes down to the floor(about 3foot), a 90degree bend, then the rest is 15mm. We have paid insurance cover and the company is refusing to do any work what so ever because they say it is not installed correctly. I cannot find any information that gives where the 15 mm should start. We have two conflicting engineers

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Usually you do most of CH run in 22mm pipe, then the drops down to the radiators are done in 15mm pipe.
    The heat carrying capicity of 22mm is higher than 15mm, several other advantages you have a better flow rate & a quieter system, radiators quicker to heat up with 22mm pipe to name a few.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  3. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

15mm is acceptable, which is probably why the company has installed it (and it's cheaper). Although 22mm is, as Kiab says, much better for the 'backbone' of your heating system.

I have a 22mm 'backbone' on my upstairs floors here, and 15mm for downstairs. You actually notice the heat up times between floors.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Probably charged for 22mm & used 15mm as cheaper...:eek:

BTU capacities for 15mm,22mm & 28mm pipe.

15mm dia 4.25kW 13,620 BTU
    22mm dia 11.5kW 36,630 BTU
    28mm dia 20.5kW 65,240 BTU

http://www.diydata.com/planning/ch_design/limiting_factors.php

5. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

That wouldn't surprise me unfortunately.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Seen it done a few times.

7. Hi Garry.

Are you saying they won't insure it against problems because it uses 15mm pipe?

How many rads do you have? How large is your house?

Please confirm - ALL the rads are effectively being fed via a 15mm pipe?

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Use to be a rule of thumb 3 radiators on 15mm pipe, but I can't remember it exactly.:(

9. If Garry's system actually works ok, then the insurance cove is being a jobsworth.

10. Garry Ingham

Garry Ingham Member

They have been taking our money for a year now. They did not check the boiler.or come out. They just took the money and when we developed a fault and a leak a contractor came out and put in his report the 22 mm did not go far enough and hence they are refusing to fix it. Dyson fit the boiler 7 years ago and they say it is fit according tomanufacturs instructions. the insures will not accept this and have refused to do any repairs at all, although they have taken another £18 from our account. There are 10 radiators and it is all 15 mm except for about 3foot from the boiler

11. Garry Ingham

Garry Ingham Member

Corgi is the home plan company

12. I'm even more confused - what are they actually saying that's wrong? That there should be more 22mm pipe for the sake of flow?

Who is Dyson? And if they say it's ok according to manufacturers' instructions, then hopefully you can prove that.

In which case you threaten to sue the insurance company under the CRA.

Talking of insurance - do you have Legal Prot in your home insurance? If so, there's your lever - they'll act on your behalf.

13. As far as flow is concerned, I guess it depends on how that 22mm pipe splits into the 15s. I mean, if the 22mm goes down to a single 15mm pipe which feeds all 10 rads, then I can see it struggling to cope with adequate heat capacity. But if that 22mm pipe teed off to a few 15mm pipes which then fed, say, 2 or 3 rads each, then there shouldn't be a problem.

Anyhoo - you first need to show that it's ok according to the manufacturers - that should be easy to do according to what you say.

KIAB likes this.
  14. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

F@#$ing hate insurance companies first sign of trouble they back off and still take money, legalised theft!!

Joe95 and KIAB like this.
  15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Once you take other factors into account your on dodgy ground with 10 radiators on 15mm pipe.

What combi you got.

16. What clause in the insurance paperwork have they used as a reason for not covering it.

They cant just not cover it, they have to explain the reason, and the clause.

17. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Sounds like a cop out.

There is absolutely no reason a 15mm heating system shouldn't work. Yes, it will have reduced heat capacity, but it'll still work.

Find the boilers model and search for the documentation - look for anything that states 15 or 22mm pipe sizes for the heating side, and if there is get straight on the phone to them for incorrectly installing your boiler.

18. I have the ultimate in pitiful 15mm systems - a one-pipe system run in only 15mm pipe, and I have 8 rads running off that... Yes, it's takes a while to get to full heat, but it does work.

I also have to say that Homeserve - with whom I've had a repair contract for 3 years now - have been brilliant. No issues at all - have gone beyond the call.

(And if you cancel the renewal each year, they'll get in touch and haggle down to a much better premium... :rolleyes:)

Joe95 and KIAB like this.
  19. Garry Ingham

Garry Ingham Member

Well Corgi insurance are not budging hence we have a leak and a faulty pressure gauge so we cannot top up too much. I'm going to change the pressure gauge. Can anybody give me any pointers where to start

20. That sounds completely unreasonable to me. Looks like 'Corgi' (how did they manage to get hold of that trade name?!) are looking for a get-out clause.

Contact Corgi once more via their 'complaints procedure' on their website and briefly explain the whole story; your system has been working fine for 7 years, you have paid for their maintenance services for one year, and you now require an explanation from them as to why the presence of 15mm pipe has any relevance or connection to the fault you have reported - a leak and a faulty pressure gauge - which requires fixing under the contract you have with them.

Add that you require this information as you will escalate your complaint to the regulating body, the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS), if you are unhappy with how they dealt with your complaint. The FOS website is www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk.

(All that is from their own front page...)