Commercial Multideck Display Fridge (What MCB)

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by mark James, Jul 20, 2014.

1. mark James

mark James New Member

Hi there , I am fairly new to electricals and brand new to this site so I really hope you can help

we have just bought quite a hefty multideck display fridge to go in our shop (commercial fridge)
    , anyway we tried it before we bought it it was fine , then we tried it at the workshop and that was fine , all working no probs.

Then we took it to the shop , popped it in place plugged it in and as soon as the compressor cuts it the MCB went pop , went down to the seller and tried it again , all fine then POP as soon as the compressor winds up , it Trips the MCB, the current is a standard 32 amp , I spoke to the guys we bought it from and they say to replay the Socket and also upgrade the MCB to a 50amp or higher as it seems to be an over load , would it be ok to do this.

Im not after doing it myself , this post is more about not being ripped off by our electrician ,

any advice would be awsome

2. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

What is the running load? work out from there the required MCB then get a C rated for motors. Its the kick load from the compressor that's taking out the MCB :)

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I think the geezer hails from the States Flat..:rolleyes:

4. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

It more than likely does want a type C breaker, but do check the rating plate for a loading. What does it say? kW, kVA, or A.

It could possibly be that your MCB is an RCBO? Is there a tiny test button on your "MCB"?

5. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

Well if that's the case ........ Wind loads of 2.5 copper wire around the MCB contacts place it back into the carrier tap it into place with a lump hammer switch on and think of Hiroshima :D

6. mark James

mark James New Member

Thanks all for your replies , firstly to flateric , yep I heard that it was probably the compressor and all the fans kicking in is causing it to trip , at the moment all the MCB's are type B which I heard is no good for compressors and like you said motors etc.

I have a single pole consumer unit , it has 8 Mcb and two RCD

Im going to try Flaterics suggestion which seems to be the safest ,

Im from the lake district by the way , so sorry for the late reply guys been at work

7. SharpMind

SharpMind New Member

hey, but how much did it cost to buy a display fridge? I would like to purchase a display fridge too

8. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Have you anything else running on the circuit at the same time as the fridge?