Composite sink hole saw confused

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by blakmumba, Jan 1, 2014.

1. blakmumba

blakmumba New Member

Hi all, I've never fitted a kitchen and so far have really done well with the base units and worktop. My problem is that I have a composite Cooke & Lewis sink which I need to drill a hole for my new tap. Underneath the sink there is a semi pre-cut type of hole (like cut half way in as a template) and now I need a 32mm hole saw but don't know which 1 to get?. Does it have to be a diamond holesaw?.
    Please could someone advise me or link me to the type of product that I need as this would be much appreciated.

As always thanks

2. snezza30

snezza30 Member

The hole size for a Kitchen sink tap is 35mm, not 32mm!

The best hole saw for cutting out composite tap holes is undoubtedly a Diamond holesaw, but if you only have 1 hole to do then one similar to what DA suggested will suffice. They are a lot cheaper and, as he said, take your time and it will cut through eventually. Drill a pilot hole through from underneath first, then flip the sink over and drill the 35mm hole out from above.

Snezza.

3. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Some of the composite sinks, have the hole, "almost" cut through and the instructions tell you to hit it at a certain point with a punch and hammer. To be honest, I've never been comfortable with the MI's approach on these ones. Much better to drill out with the correct sized hole saw. ;);)

4. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

the ceramic one's are the same JJ I hate those beggars I do,

5. snezza30

snezza30 Member

I tried breaking out one of those tap holes in a ceramic Villeroy & Boch sink, about 20 years ago.
    The next day, when I got back to site, there was a hairline crack between the tap hole and the back of the sink.
    It cost me over £500 (Trade price) for a replacement sink plus the time it took to remove the original sink and replace it with a new one. Never tried doing another one like that since.

The next day I went out a bought a Diamond 35mm Starret cutter. I am still using the same cutter, and although a bit worn now, it still has plenty of life left in it. Back then, it was about £30.......god knows how much they are now!

Snezza.

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select