Condensation - the old chestnut

Discussion in 'Eco Talk' started by Pinteater, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Pinteater

Pinteater Member

Dear Fellows, I am at my wits' end tackling the waterfalls of condensation in my 1980's first floor flat. Now, I know why it occurs, so I don't need help there, but I just wonder if anyone can explain why in Nordic countries, like Finland, where temperatures are brutal and they very rarely have pvc integral double glazing, only one or two active vents in the kitchen & shower rooms, they just don't get condensation?
    Generally they use two sets of single glazed wood frames with a void of at least 100mm rather than our rather useless (for condensation purposes) pvc integral double glazed things. I realise humidity outside plays a part and it may be less humid in Finland and Nordics don't tend to cook with gas or use curtains.
    I have installed 150mm humidistat extractor in the kitchen (with external extract cowling removed so basically this is a hole - not great for my heating regime), 100mm humidistat bathroom extract and two Passyfier Sleeved Wall Vents in the sitting and bedrooms. My place is hardly 'tight'.
    Can anyone explain? Is active 24/7 extraction across the whole flat/house the only answer?

2. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Dehumidifier will solve it, but you will need to empty daily or install a drain to the machine.

3. Pin, are you saying it's yer window panes wot's running with condensation? And in which room(s)?

Every home produces a huge amount of moisture, from us sweatin' breathin' peeps, to washing, cookin', showering etc etc.

The warmish air inside the home will hold a large amount of that moisture vapour in it (the warmer the air, the more it'll hold), and this will remain happily suspended in the air - until the air cools down. As it tends to overnight.

When the air cools, it simply cannot hold that moisture any more, so it condenses out on the coldest surfaces first. Even in the Nordics, that's likely to be the windows, so they must have a trick up their sleeve.

Your solutions: (a) keep the heat up at max all winter, so's to keep all that moisture suspended in t'air... (b) remove that moisture using a dehumidifier, or (c) remove that moisture by ventilation.

Soz, or (d) don't live in your flat.

I'm surprised that it's as bad as you say, given you also mention your flat is hardly air-tight. I wonder if that flow of ventilation (draught...) that you have is able to 'catch' the areas that are more prone to condensation?

Do you wake up to wet bedroom window panes? If so, do you have these windows cracked open to 'vent' settings? If 'yes' and 'no', then try one night with the windows cracked open. You might think that this will make your bedroom cold - and it will - but that's why you're tucked up in bed with only yer nose peeping oot from under t'duvet. Get up in t'morning and slam the window shut, and enjoy your CH's warmth - and the relative lack of wet windows.

If you have your bedroom windows and door closed, the litres of moisture you give out overnight will have nowhere to go except to condense out on the coldest surfaces.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Typical flat problem...........stop drying wet washing over the radiators causing condensation on the windows and exterior walls.

5. Yeah - we don't do tha' in 'ouses.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It's all about being bothered to use the communal drying area smarty pants.

7. OOoooooOOOOOooooohh! :D

On a serious note, it is my smarty pants wot causes the most damp in my house... :oops:

8. Pinteater

Pinteater Member

9. Pinteater

Pinteater Member

Dear People, thanks ever so for the views, but like I said in my original post, it's not that I don't understand what condensation is, Mr Sherlock, but what is it they do in Scandi and not here. They hang washing up in their shower rooms - not communal areas (what are communal drying areas...in my place you can't even have a tv aerial on the roof), sleep,cook etc just like us.
    I'll think about a de-humidifier but my neighbour's got three in her sitting room and it doesn't stop the water-feature falling down her windows...
    I am sure an active venting system to each room is the only answer.
    Chars!

10. Hi Pin.

Thanks for reposting my answer above - twice. I do love to re-read my own posts :rolleyes:.

But, could you answer some of the points, please?

"Do you wake up to wet bedroom window panes? If so, do you have these windows cracked open to 'vent' settings? If 'yes' and 'no', then try one night with the windows cracked open. You might think that this will make your bedroom cold - and it will - but that's why you're tucked up in bed with only yer nose peeping oot from under t'duvet. Get up in t'morning and slam the window shut, and enjoy your CH's warmth - and the relative lack of wet windows."

Or, which windows is it that's affected?

If you can get some of that draught you're talking about to flow by the wet windows, it'll clear your condensation.

Last night was the first time this year that I closed my son's bedroom windows fully - until then one opener was on 'vent' setting. (I did this because it was blowing a bit of a hoolie yesterday eve, so I thought I'd cut down the draught a bit.)

This morning was the first time this year that his window panes had condensation on them. Ok, it wasn't bad - just a line of droplets formed along the bottoms of all 4 panes - but it was the first time this year. If I'd cracked open one pane before bed as I normally do, that condend'n wouldn't have been there.

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

what are communal drying areas...

A designated outdoor area for the use of!

12. Pinteater

Pinteater Member

Hello Devil's Advocate - sorry about the inexcusable error of replying twice, perhaps it's the software set up rather than the operator's ineptitude?
    Trickle vents, leaving the opener on latch (or even wider) makes no difference whatsoever. If I had three openers on my one bedroom window, had no black-out blind or curtains, kept the door open then maybe it would improve a bit - but (talking about re-reading / repeating stuff....o_O) this isn't the point....what is it the Scandis do / design that we don't? They certainly don't have to go to all that trouble....in -25 Deg C!

Also, my particular lifestyle is that once I'm awake mornings, I'm up and out. Unfortunately I do not have the luxury of "enjoying my CH warmth"!

Thanks again for your helpful comments, but I think I'll just have to accept it's part of the life of living where I do.

Hello Astramax
    I had my tongue planting firmly in my cheek when I was asking "what are communal drying areas for?".
    Yes there is a communal drying area, which the clever architect designed to be 150m away from my flat, surrounded by deciduous trees and high "privacy, wind-cheating2 screens...! Fine for Summer bed sheet drying but hardly up to the task for dark, damp eves to attempt a drying of one's smalls...
    BTW, we only hang light laundry in winter months, on a drying rack, slung over the bath, right under the humidistat operated extractor. Towels are dried in the local launderette :(

Cheers All!

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

In my old flat there was a drying area outside with 2 airier.

Nobody put out any clothing otherwise it would be taken.

14. I'm stumped, Pin.

I understand that modern houses in t'Nordic areas have very sophisticated heating and ventilation controls, so that there is a constant air movement, but that most of the heat being vented out is captured using exchangers.

Whether it just comes down to that super-high standard of insulation and control, I dunno. But your situation does sound pretty severe.

Soz - I can't help. Other than to offer to come round and mop up each morn.

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

You say you know the reason why it occurs? - what is that reason.

Also do you have single or double glazing. There are some flats around my area which still have old metal crittal type windows.

16. Pinteater

Pinteater Member

Cheers
    Cheers Man

17. Give me your address, then.

18. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

You live in a flat. Your neighbours beneath you are contributing to your moisture gain. Warm air rises and water vapour will travel upwards through the structure.

If you have a big Condensation problem the positive ventilation option is the best in the circumstances imo

19. Pinteater

Pinteater Member

Cheers. That's the course of my action plan now. No suggested systems / components you recommend I suppose? Cheers again

20. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I have an brand new unused Envirovent Mr Lofty vent PIV unit if you are interested. It has intakes.