Connecting Single Oven, Steam oven and Induction Hob

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by lookingforhelp, Feb 27, 2017.

1. lookingforhelp

lookingforhelp New Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for advice on connecting the above. I am not looking to connect it myself but to get an approved electrician to do it but I want to have an idea on costs. I am, by no means, knowledgable on this subject so I will apologise for any incorrect terminology in advance:)

I currently have a Rangemaster on it's own 32a circuit. I don't know length or size of cable but its chunky and the CU is abot 4m as the crow flies. Although there seems to be quite a bit of excess cable. I have been wanting to replace it for a while now. I have a high spec oven in the garage but don't know it's rating (it's in the far corner so a bit inaccessible). I have recently bought an induction hob and a stream oven not realising the connection issues. I naively thought it was plug and play, or plug and cook.

The Steam oven is rated at 7.4 kW, the hob is 3kW. Am I right in thinking that if the other oven is 4.6kW or less they can all go on to the existing circuit? If this is the case what sort of money are we talking? If not What will I need to have done and what sort of money are we talking for this? If it's a lot I may have to consider reselling my purchases as I'm on a tight budget.

Many thanks, Maria

2. lookingforhelp

Sorry those ratings should be the other way round but you've probably guessed that ;)
    Also the CU has no spare slots.

3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Hi, yes, they could all go on to the existing circuit, however, there are connection issues to get three appliances on to one connection terminal so you will have to separate one of the items off and run a new circuit. I would recommend having the 7.4kW appliance on its own circuit and the other two on another. It doesn't matter which appliances are on the new circuit. You would require another 32A cooker circuit. To be fair, you may even need three. You would need to budget up to £300 to install it all.

4. lookingforhelp

Oh dear That's what I feared. Thanks for the reply unphased.