Connecting Stove to my Thermal Store?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by PeterK, Nov 26, 2015.

1. PeterK

PeterK Member

Hello,

I'm going to connect my Esse Ironheart to my Thermal Store Using 28mm copper pipe, but I'm unsure what type of fittings to use.
    I see you can get copper push fit fittings called Tectite, would that be suitable to withstand the pressure?

Please advise me with any info or ideas, that would be great.

Thanks, I look forward to reading all your advise.

2. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

Soldered joints far superior

3. PeterK

PeterK Member

Yes thanks for reply.
    One of my Plumber friends said that Tectite could turn brittle with heat and would burst.

So I will go for Soldering the joints. Tectite would probably be ok on the cold feed? But probably just as well to Solder it all.

4. DNR Plumbing

Solder joints are stronger last longer and are cheaper but require skill to join correctly

Push fit are more expensive will turn brittle will fail sooner but are easy to fit that's why they are so popular

5. So it'll be compression fittings, then...

With a wipe of Fernox Hawk White - on the threads too, as a lube.

Jobbie jobbed.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

On what basis are you saying push fit will turn brittle and fail, do you want to show your research?

7. DNR Plumbing

Heat cycled plastic will turn brittle and the o-ring seal will perish before a correctly soldered joint would fail

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Based on what?

9. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

I would say common sense, plastic and rubber will perish long before copper will and given some of the temperatures those stoves can reach I wouldnt even consider a push fit fitting.

Having worked on solar thermal you dont even use a soldered joint in any part of the system as the temperatures have been known to make the solder run, copmpression only in solar.

Maybe the OP should talk to HETAS engineer first before he proceeds

DNR Plumbing likes this.
  10. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

If I add my four pennerth - I think the fact that push fit is not allowed for gas supplies says it all really!

diymostthings

PeterK likes this.