Connecting toilet to water main

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by crash, Jan 3, 2015.

1. crash

crash Member

Folks

Just starting the refit of our bathroom

I have a gravity fed cold water in the bathroom. Is it ok to connect to the toilet to the mains cold water and if so do I need to fit a PRV?

I would like to plumb the cold water mains into the bath and basin taps as well but I'm not sure if that will work? Any reason why I can't?

Thanks for any guidance

Regards

Mark

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

yes,no and no respectivley ;)

crash likes this.
  3. crash

crash Member

Great thanks for the speedy reply - I thought it was the case but wanted to check in case water regs had changed to prohibit this ;)

Regards

Mark

4. Hi Crash.

Connecting your cold mains to yer loo is fine, and you shouldn't need a PRV unless your pressure is waaaay high - chust fit the 'high pressure' nozzle to your cistern's inlet valve if it has one.

Connecting your cold mains to your cold bath and basin taps is ok too, as far as I am aware, and it would have the benefit of providing drinking water - great if it's an en-suite.

BUT, if your bath has a mixer valve (or your basin too, for that matter) such as a blender or shower mixer, then it ain't a good idea to mix the hot and cold at such two differing pressures. Also, you'd prob have to fit a non-return valve to the cold so that there's no risk of drawing 'foul' water (eg - bath :) ) back into your cold mains should the water supply be cut.

So, yes, possibly and possibly?

5. crash

crash Member

Brilliant thanks and you just reminded me about the NRV as well - I really should get back into the game again!

6. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

DA, forgive me for asking, but what is it with this word "Chust", Your having to type an extra letter for a word that dosent exist but sounds like a word that does. If you have a speach impediment then forgive me for highlighting it to the entire online world of Screwfix :)

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

It could be useful to have the WC on the CW tank.

If you ever have a disrupted supply then the toilet is always useable.

Is the CW tank in the loft or ion the bathroom?

8. crash

crash Member

I have a downstairs toilet which is connected to the tank so that should solve that problem :)

The CW tank is in the loft :)

9. Dave, I don't have a speech impediment. Well, I don't think I have. But, then again, I am from the Utter Hebrides... :rolleyes:

malkie129 and Dave does Gas like this.
  10. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

and he goes to kirk on a sunday too

malkie129 and Dave does Gas like this.
  11. So? Kirk's a nice bloke.

12. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

so why only once a week?

13. 'Cos I'm seeing you the other 6 days, stooopid... :rolleyes:

14. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

DOH !!

15. Good to see a thread that's stayed on-topic for a change :rolleyes:.

But, as always, luuuuurrrvvv gets in the way... :oops: