Connecting USB cam to outdoor lighting?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by MP4player, Apr 26, 2024.

1. MP4player

MP4player New Member

Hi all, would appreciate a heads up on this;
    I want to install a USB powered security camera close to where I already have an outdoor hard wired security light. Would obviously rather power this off the lighting circuit than running extra cable / drilling extra holes through wall etc, to get to power circuit. Surely can just tag into the existing light junction box? I'm quite sure it has a neutral. Possible or not?

Attached Files:

2. malbec4

malbec4 Well-Known Member

If you want a 230/240 volt supply, it is all in the junction box as long as the outside light works properly. You cannot turn off the supply to the light though because the camera will no longer work.

3. Cris 11

Cris 11 Active Member

A usb powered cam will only be 5v max.

4. MP4player

MP4player New Member

The light is always powered, only comes on with movement picked up by the PIR. Obviously I know cutting the power to it would cut the camera off as well, just wanted to know whether it was feasible. So I take it, it is.

5. MP4player

MP4player New Member

6. BuildingMad

BuildingMad Screwfix Select

How do you intend overcoming the connection of a 5v USB cable to 240v mains cable.
    The E27 fitting or 3 pin plug enables that conversion.

7. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

8. BuildingMad

9. Ind spark

Ind spark Screwfix Select

10. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

The prophets of doom have been quiet on this :eek::D

Ind spark likes this.
  11. Wellwisher

Wellwisher Well-Known Member

12. BuildingMad

This would probably fit in the outdoor socket swich USB & curl round under the cover or drop straight out for connection.
    https://www.temu.com/ul/kuiper/un9....cyEA3kUd139rQP3L8CYLqMtr2E2tt4EBoC49YQAvD_BwE

Last edited: Apr 27, 2024