Construction card

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Blurb get, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Blurb get

Blurb get New Member

Is the construction card a voluntary system, I am having trouble with my boss who insists it is , please help

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

it is a voluntary scheme, that's massively popular and been widely adopted by many employers, you'll find you won't be able to get on most sites without one stand by for numerous inane comments moaning about it

3. Blurb get

Blurb get New Member

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

The CSCS card system is voluntary, but I think you'll find that almost 100% of construction sites will insist upon workers holding one, before being allowed on site. ;);)

5. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

its defo voluntary and one day a good solicitor will make a fortune out of workers not being allowed on sites, this is affecting their livelihoods and will bring about compensation claims against the companies insisting that workers have it, It will be bigger than the ppi claims ,
    I'm just waiting for my little windfall, ;)

Phil the Paver likes this.
  6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's not just site work, I've seen a lot of job adverts for domestic joiners where they insisted on a CSCS card.
    I haven't got one and without a NVQ it appears I can't get one.
    It's not generally a problem but it does p... me off.

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

You and me both, be a brave solicitor though.:)

8. Phil the Paver

Can you not get one through grandfather rights.

I can but I went to a CITB college, and have 16 City & Guilds in Civil Engineering.

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

What are grandfather rights? I usually work in TV and theatre with domestic carpentry as a side line so never come into contact with "normal" carpenters.

10. Phil the Paver

Grandfather rights are if you were doing something before the rules changed.

This is more common in driving laws where the licence changes but those who held a licence before change can carry on as they were.

CSCS told me I could apply for a card based on what I was doing before they came out. I didn't bother as I never work on sites, but as said it's creeping over to other forms now.

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I never work on sites but Dec/Feb/March is always quiet so need to find something to earn some money then.

12. Blurb get

Blurb get New Member

Thank you , last thing , what about all this safety gear, hob nail boot , hats , gloves , glasses, I am very safe at work and as it me and him we look after ourselves , has my boss signed up to something to bring him into line with bigger sites , by the way I'm self employed, thanks

13. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

Site safety has gone silly today, Its become a industry in its own right, you as a person should be mindfull at all times of the dangers on sites, only a fool will walk about a site with trainers on their feet or under scaffolding without a hard hat or use a grinder/drill/hammer chisel without goggles,
    In jungles of the world many natives walk barefoot through the brush because they are aware of the dangers around themselves, If the HSE ever find out those natives could afford saftey gear, they'd be sold and told to wear, boots,hard hats,goggles etc, BUT they have no money, so the HSE find easier victims to fund their easy life from the hard working men of the building trade, o_O

FatHands and Phil the Paver like this.
  14. Blurb get

Blurb get New Member

Help , this is getting out of hand , my boss a good bloke , happy go lucky has changed to a man held down by worry , snaps at me for not sticking to the rules and all because of this health and safety issue , always telling me one of these so called gods will shut us down if we don't conform to the site rules, what's happening,its me and him on one house , I have had enough , tell me what's going on ,

15. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

As Tomp says Health and Safety has become an industry in it's own right. Historically, the construction industry was one of the biggest contributors to deaths and injuries in the 1970's. Maximum fine was £20,000 (no prison sentences in those days) Since the early 80's however, the HSE tightened up the rules somewhat, that today, you can't make a cup of tea without doing a risk assessment. Fines are almost limitless and prison sentences for dangerous occurrences on site are fairly common. I've been on sites where the gaffer insisted on wearing hard hats indoors (wtf did he think was gonna fall on your head in the living room of plot No4?) and hi viz at all times (who did he think would fail to notice you in the kitchen of plot No6?) As Tomp says, "It's gone mad." Everyone and his dog are trying to cover their own backs.. See those adverts on the telly,," Have you had an accident in the last 3 yrs?" Claim ££thousands in compensation." Just turn that statement round slightly,,,, "Have you caused an accident in the last 3yrs??" "You could be sued for ££thousands." That's what it's all about, nowadays.