"continual pressure loss on WB boiler

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by Callita, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Callita

Callita New Member

1. I have 5 years old WB boiler was working fine all that time, have descaler, etc, however now the hot water is not hot at all and I put the pressure up several times recently, it looks ok but as soon as the hot water is on downstairs the boiler pressure drops to "0"!!! Called the heating engineer, he said the pressure is low from the mains, but how can it be, the cold water tap flow is alright as usual! Don't want this man again, don't trust him, but is there any hint on what can be done? I had dripping radiator slightly, but that is sorted now, didn't change anything! Please help!

Callita, Today at 9:43 AMReport
      #12Reply

2. [​IMG]
      Mr RustyActive Member
      Callita - I suggest you start a new thread - you have a completely different problem. And, yes I agree you need a different heating engineer - sounds like that one doesn't have a clue. My absolute guess is you have a pressure vessel problem,but there are much more knowledgeable people than me on here who will help. Head your new thread "continual pressure loss on WB boiler"

Mr Rusty, Today at 10:57 AMReport
      #13LikeReply

2. Callita, please do a search for this issue on this forum - there are numerous threads.

See where that gets you, and peeps will be here to help anon.

(Gotta take dawgs oot for walkies...)

3. Callita

Callita New Member

thanks, I did read several, but it is not the same, either the other way round or some dripping in the owerflow, nothing like I have the luck of...

4. Ok, this is a combi, yes?

And it kinda works ok - until you turn on a hot tap and then the pressure gauge drops to zero?

I'm stumped...

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Sounds like the heat exchanger is leaking between the CH and HW. ;)

6. Callita

Callita New Member

It is a combi boiler, the bad thing is that the registered wb engineer (local man) has been already, took £65 and said nothing wrong with the boiler. I know it is as it was working perfectly fine 2 weeks ago! Shall I just ask Worcester Bosh to send another man to sort this? I am not going to do it myself anyway!! lol, sounds expensive.. I was on another forum they cured something similar (heating not hot water) buy actually reducing pressure from the mains... I will try it tomorrow, but not a lot of hopes

7. Callita

Callita New Member

Here is citing from another forum:
    sammydavis Sat 22-Dec-12 18:42:21
    A solution to this at last! After many Worcester Bosch visits we have solved the issue. Still not entirely sure why it has happened or whether it actally is a boiler 'problem'.

But... the solution was to reduce the flow of water into the boiler at the mains!!!

Don't know why something that had worked fine for a year suddenly changed. Worcester couldn't say. They rigged up all their laptops to the boiler and said it was fine - nothing wrong - totally able to handle the water flow etc etc.

But it was only when the flow was reduced at the mains that the problem stopped.

And the problem was: hot water became cold while in a shower and then hot again etc...

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Classic signs of a knackered HW heat exchanger, scaled up & blocked.

9. Callita

Callita New Member

is it? I have a descaler, though was it on or not I donlt know as the house is tenanted...

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can't descale the HW heat exchanger, it has to be a new one, but with the CH heat exchanger you can add system cleaner like Sentinel X800 (very good) to the system & let run around for a month or without harm to clean the radiators,heat exchanger,etc.
    Drain down & flush a few times, refill & add an inhibitor like Sentinel X100.

11. Callita

Callita New Member

But the problem is not with the heating, it is with hot water, so only half of heat exchanger will be treated then? and it is always less scale there as it is a closed/selaed system?? what is the proce difference between heat exchanger replacement and flashing the system? I suppose quik fix if replacing, but in a long term flashing will be beneficial?

12. The part of the secondary heat exchanger which tends to block - leading to the hot/cold cycling - is the 'sealed' 'system' side, and this blockage is usually due to sludge in the rad system.

However, I still don't understand what you mean by 'you turn on the hot water downstairs and the pressure drops to zero'.

That is weird.

Blimey - don't tell me it's as JJ says above (#5)?! The guy's a chippie for pity's sakes... :rolleyes:

13. Callita

Callita New Member

If I only know what CH and HW are, lol

KIAB likes this.
  14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

[​IMG]

Should have been clearer last night:oops:, there are two heat exhangers, each seperate, one for hot water, other for central heating, you can see them in the image above.
    Should make it easier for you to relate to,as to where each part is.
    The culprit for the hot water becoming cold while in a shower and then hot again etc, is the DHW exchanger on the left in image.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  15. And the pressure dropping to zero when a hot tap is opened?! o_O