Converting a radiator to dual fuel

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Charlie-Farley, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Charlie-Farley

Charlie-Farley New Member

Hi

I wondered if any one on here give me some advice please, as I seem to be getting no where fast!

I am looking to convert a radiator to dual fuel with a programmable thermostat as my radiators currently only heat up when my log burner is lit (there is no gas where I live for normal central heating). I want the radiator to be able to come on just before I get up in the morning & come home from work. The radiator is 6056 BTU so I understand I will need approx 1774 Watts & have been told I could fit an electric element either end on the radiator. Is this correct? They would also need to work horizontally. The radiator is a 3 column radiator measuring 1610 cms long.

The 1000Watt elements all seem to be too long for me to fit 2 of them or only work vertically!

Please help!

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

3. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

the only domestic dual fuel rads in common use are towel rail types, and they tend to be designed to accept a single sub 700w element, and they will have been designed to cope with the expansion - fitting 2KW of heating element within a rad, possibly not intended for dual fuel use, even if it was possible, could well not be a great move

4. Charlie-Farley

5. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

wiring that to a suitable timer would be easy, but would that element fit, or be effective in your rad ?

could you post a link to the type of rad you have, or post a picture of it

6. Charlie-Farley

7. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

if that element fits, then you might have a solution - for better heat distribution I'd want to see a pair fitted on the bottom rad take offs, so if you do also heat it via your burner some re-piping would be required, however flow via the top take offs isnt ideal - perhaps consider a single element with the flow via the burner running diagonally across the rad

I see Quinn have a support number, perhaps they would be the best folks to ask this question ?

8. I'm with Tom. Much cheaper, easier and more efficient to use a stand alone elctric heater. Dual fuel is for towel rads in bathrooms where electric heaters can be problematic.