converting garage into utility room.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by saints74, Jun 30, 2015.

1. saints74

saints74 New Member

Hi all, I'm looking to split my integral garage in half to have a utility room for the wife. I am unsure what to do with the concrete garage floor as there is only a 90mm difference between that and the kitchen floor. I did think about building a timber floor. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated, cheers

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Any particular reason that both floors need to be level? Insulation etc?

3. saints74

saints74 New Member

I'm not sure if there's any dp under concrete slab so I was going to insulate it and put in new membrane. I've just looked on kingspan website about doin a floating floor.

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Is there a internal door from the kitchen to the garage, if so 90mm is to shallow for building control purposes.

Not that it matters if your splitting the garage in half, so DPM, 70mm celotex and 18mm t&g chipboard flooring would be close enough for a utility room.

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

2nd that :)

6. saints74

saints74 New Member

Hi Phil, there is a door from kitchen into garage, can I ask what you mean about 90mm been to shallow for building control? Cheers

7. I understand they don't allow 'single' steps of that size (or any?) - a trip hazard.

In any case, you surely want some insulation down there?

In which case what Phil suggests sounds ideal.

Job jobbied.

(Do make sure the garage floor is level, tho' - they sometimes slope...)

8. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Phil will probably give you more accurate info, but I believe you need a garage floor to be about 20 cm lower than an internal floor in case of a fuel fire.

9. Phil the Paver

Garage floors should be 150mm below the house floor if there's an internal door, its all to do with fuel spillage/ flooding and it getting into the occupied section of the house.

10. Phil the Paver

Beat me to it. :)

11. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Even if no vehicle will use it?, since it's being converted to utility.

12. saints74

saints74 New Member

Should that have been picked up on survey when we brought the house? I think the extension was built around 20yrs ago?

13. Hardly an earth-shattering issue... :rolleyes:

In any case, I'd have thought that the 'step' should now be betwixt the new utility room and the remainder of the garage?

Personally, I'd have the utility room at the same height as the adjoining kitchen - anything else is chust plain daft.

Especially as the addition of insulation and a solid chipboard floor will do the job of levelling it all out nicely.

14. saints74

saints74 New Member

Thanks a lot for your help guys, have a good evening
    :)

15. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I thought it was 100mm.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

16. Phil the Paver

??? How would you get 100mm, each brick course is 75mm hence the 150mm, same dpc on the outside. ;)

17. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Well one brick and two half-inch mortars is 100mm.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

18. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

And how many degrees? :p:p

19. Phil the Paver

No its not, one brick 65mm, 2 half inches, 26mm, total 91mm. :):) Or 22.5˚ :p:p

20. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Handy just don't know when not to get involved does he?....Still...keeps us amused. :D