correct method for earth bonding

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by rshiwnath, May 16, 2015.

1. rshiwnath

rshiwnath New Member

Hi, I'm redoing my kitchen and I've not seen any earth bonding in place on the pipes etc, i shall install asap. Must the earth bond cable be attached to the main point near the CU or can it be attached to the nearest mains outlet? Cheers

2. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

OSG A3 2015 page 17 2.1

3. rshiwnath

rshiwnath New Member

Hmm, I can't find my manual anywhere. I think the dog ate it. ;)

Wot does it say again?

4. sams

sams Member

asking questions like that, you need to get an electrician to do the work

5. rshiwnath

rshiwnath New Member

its a small job so I thought I'd ask the question.

The CU and main wiring is just 2 metres away, cable will run up the wall within some trunking, and then be attached along the wall above a suspended ceiling. The earth point is there.

is 6mm wire ok?

6. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

7. rshiwnath

rshiwnath New Member

thanks, this will be a supplementary bond, rather than a main bond, is 10mm the advised size for supplementary?

8. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

No need to supplementary bond the kitchen. Main bond to gas and water if necessary in 10mm. Bathroom may need supplementary bonding in 4mm if not up to 17th edition spec. Nowt for kitchen though.

FatHands likes this.
  9. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

10. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

I thought this was called Electricians talk, not DIY'ers asking how to do our job?

Thought I might ask my lawyer how I can do my own divorce a few years ago, she didn't return any of my emails or calls. . . .

Risteard likes this.
  11. sams

sams Member

if you need electrical advice just go to the big orange DIY shed, they will even draw you a wiring diagram, but ask about gas and see what they say