cost of ceiling repair

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Madeleine_101, May 30, 2016.

1. Madeleine_101

Madeleine_101 New Member

In my boilers cupboard, which is under the stairs, the ceiling has a deep crack in it and i was wondering how much it would cost to fix. The area is appox 2.5 ft by 2.75 ft.
    Thanx.

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

At that size, just go to your local shed, B&Q, Wickes, etc, pick up a cheap broken sheet of 12.5mm plasterboard, cut to size and stick it over the existing with some quickgrip, stickall, etc, supporting it until it sets, 24 hours will be enough, caulk around the edges and paint to suit..:)

3. Madeleine_101

Madeleine_101 New Member

Thanks for your advice!! :D

4. Hi Mad.

This should really be an easy DIY job. And, if you are asking how much it'll cost, I'm guessing that will be welcome?

I mean, it'll cost nothing in terms of materials, but potentially a few hours in labour (waiting for filler to dry, painting etc) so potentially a fair amount (~£100-ish?)

Does the ceiling 'move'? When you press the panels either side of the crack, is there any movement - is the board loose at all?

If 'no', then that crack should really be a 'fill' job, I'd have thought.

A photo of it would help - any chance?

5. Madeleine_101

Madeleine_101 New Member

i cant reach the crack as theres too much stuff in the way but heres a picture, i hope it helps.

Attached Files:

6. Wow - that's pretty extensive!

Do all the cracks go through the board, or are some just in the paintwork?

It does look as tho' the plasterboard is completely shot and is crumbling. Or is it actually plaster on lathe?

How old is your house?

I now suspect the best repair is as Phil says above, but you'd also have to screw through the board and get a grip on the timber studwork above. I wouldn't rely on gluing the new board to that lot as I fear it's all loose.

You just need a handyman for this - not a builder. And it should probably be simpler and quicker than filling and sanding. The tricky bit is locating the studs. Once they are found, the new board is cut to size and shape, offered up, and screwed into place. A bead of decorator's filler around the edge as Phil says, coat of paint and jobbie jobbed.

Try you local paper for 'no job too small' type tradespeeps, or check the notice board at your supermarket, local shop or even builder's merchants.

Call up a couple, explain what's needed, tell them the size and that it's in a cupboard (ie - doesn't have to be perfect) and see what they say.

7. Madeleine_101

Madeleine_101 New Member

Yeah it looks as though the cracks do go through the board, and i think the house was built in the 1930s

8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Where abouts are you based, if its local to somebody on here they may do it for you.

9. Madeleine_101

Madeleine_101 New Member

i am based in hampshire however i am out of town for a few days so i'll do some further research then.

10. KBJ

KBJ Active Member

It looks like the whole thing needs to be replaced with plasterboard, as has already been suggested. I'm not sure filler would help with this one.

I am also slightly in awe of the restraint shown by those who have responded, as the urge to lapse into innuendo must have been almost irresistible.