Could I fit a dimmer switch to an ordinary ceiling fan ?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by jz, Aug 26, 2010.

1. jz

jz New Member

I've had several ceiling fans in the past and I was wondering if I could fit a standard dimmer switch as the wall switch to an ordinary ceiling fan / light (aka ceiling fan with a light combined).

I know I'd have to find one which has a dimmerable bulb aka not halogen.

But would this be OK ?

Thanks in advance.

2. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

All the ceiling fan's i've ever seen use induction motors,their speed is controlled by the frequency of the supply so can't be controlled by a dimmer.

3. jz

jz New Member

I'm not too bothered about changing the fan speed via the dimmer, its just for the light.

Would it damage it in any way using a dimmer ?

I would try and not use the via via the dimmer anyways, just the light when the fan isn't in use.

4. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

I think you're more likely to damage the dimmer than the fan. Dimmers are designed for resistive loads but the motor is an inductive load, I think you should forget the dimmer idea really, unless you wanted to arrange a separate supply & switch for the fan motor, (not very practical).

5. jz

jz New Member

Hmmm, couldn't I put an inline fuse in somehow to protect the dimmer ?

I've not seen dimmers with fuses in already

6. jz

jz New Member

7. 71st Edition

71st Edition New Member

Aurora Switches are all pants.

You wont be able to dim an inductive and combined fan/light load. Listen to Seneca

8. lfclad

lfclad New Member

Most ceiling fan lights i have installed have provisions for 2 switch wires in the fitting, so if you really want dim the light, change the switch wire to a 3 core and earth so you will then have your two separate switch wires, and fit a 2 gang grid switch, one side normal for fan, one side dimmer for light :)

Or fit. Lower wat bulb if the light is just too brught!

9. jz

jz New Member

Whats a "2 gang grid switch" ?

I had a look earlier and thought I could slip an extra cable into the fan to the light. I spoke to a friend and he said 2 core cable and that a cable direct from the light to the dimmer on the wall would be ok.

But I guess, obviously I would need to add the live feed in too, hmmm.

10. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

If the fan is a 'timer' model (as most are) then it's quite acceptable to use a dimmer switch without fear of damage to either the dimmer or the fan. The reason for this should be quite obvious, but for those who don't understand the nature of a timer-fan, I'd be pleased to explain.

Lucia.

11. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

Lucia, I think the op is talking about a ceiling fan/light unit as often fitted in bedrooms and conservatories rather than the conventional bathroom timer fan?

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

What, a CEILING fan, Lucia ?

On a dimmer ?

Dimmer isn't a speed regulator.

Surely the fan needs full/constant power ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

^^^^^

^^^^^

14. Removed 4

Removed 4 New Member

Lucia, I think the op is talking about a ceiling fan/light......

Thank you Seneca. I see what you mean. I'm a silly billy once I've had one over the eight.....

Lucia x

15. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

No problem Lucia, it happens to us all at times!

16. jz

jz New Member

"Most ceiling fan lights i have installed have provisions for 2 switch wires in the fitting, so if you really want dim the light, change the switch wire to a 3 core and earth so you will then have your two separate switch wires, and fit a 2 gang grid switch, one side normal for fan, one side dimmer for light "

OK, so what wires connect to where ?

Before I get out my chisel and making a channel for the cable.

Don't worry I won't be doing any work until I'm 200% sure about all this stuff!!

17. Fada Mach

Fada Mach New Member

Step 1 - go out and buy a ceiling fan.

Step 2 - take it apart.

Step 3 - come back on here with your results.

Step 4 - er, not a step, but a question: why not a 'halogen'?

18. lfclad

lfclad New Member

Before you do anything you need to drop the ceiling fan and check it has provisiobs for the two switch wires otherwise no matter what you do it wont be possible to do what your after.
    Once youve dropped it if you see 5 separate connector blocks on the fitting, with something like loop, neutral, earth, ls1, ls2 then you know you can do this. If theres only 4 blocks then changes are this fitting wont let you do why your after.

However, if the fitting is ok, run a new 3 core and earth cable from switch to light, and disconnect old switch wire as its now redundant. Then connect as follows
    In light:- brown to loop, grey(with brown sleeving on) to ls1, black( with brown sleeving on) to ls2, and sleeve the earth and connect with the rest
    In the switch, brown to common on one switch with a link to common of 2nd switch, then grey to l1 in dimmer switch, and black on to l1 on the other switch which will be normal.( grey and black may need swapping over depending on which one operates fan or light. And also connect the earth in the switch to earth lug in the back box.if the switch you buy is metal then this will need earthing too.
    Good luck

19. jz

jz New Member

Damn I can't get extra wires down the the light through the fan.

Theres a plastic / rubber collar, just seems to the up to the light part. I would try and break it off but it must be there for a reason.

:(

20. seneca2

seneca2 New Member

Why don't you just give up on this one, accept it's not feasible and just put a smaller lamp (bulb) in if it's too bright?