covering up in kitchen and bathroom

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Adam Marshall, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Adam Marshall

Adam Marshall New Member

What is the best way to cover everything in a bathroom and kitchen when decorating. Ie worktops bath, shower etc

2. happy chapper

happy chapper Member

I use masking tape,and old news papers.Takes ages but worth the effort,no paint splashes to get of after. Remember to do the window.

3. Adam Marshall

Adam Marshall New Member

Thanks for the reply do you paint many bathrooms / kitchens? It's just full of hi spec furniture and don't want to risk splatter. Do you mask cupboards to save cutting in ? Thanks

4. happy chapper

happy chapper Member

Just facings, door and skirtings in my bathroom even put paper on walls either side of door. Cover everything within splatter range,and double/treble up paper well worth the effort. If you can do after teatime,and check /finish next morning to get best of natural day light.I usually paint short of sockets, light switches, edges, then afterwards remove masking tape and take your time to cut in,and any splatters wipe away off straight away. Best tip of all take your time.

5. proby

proby Active Member

Plastic sheet on a role 50mx2m from screw fix or a well known competitor about 4£ a roll and masking tape on furniture no bleed through.

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

many, many dust sheets, masking tape, cardboard, be careful with newspaper as some splashes can soak through.

Sometimes, if the floor is likely to be damages I put down some kids foam play floor - the stuff that clicks together.

Sometimes make up a temporary screen by propping up a dust sheet against the ceiling and letting it hang down. If I am doing something dusty.

Keep a big roll of good quality kitchen roll and those green and yellow kitchen scrubbers handy.

If you are worried about the furniture give it a coat of spray polish first (Pledge/ Mr sheen etc.) that will stop the smallest of splatter staying - just wipe it with a new green/ yellow sponge and off it goes

7. Adam Marshall

Adam Marshall New Member

Thank you all for your replies.