Crown - clean extreme vs hall and stairs

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by DanDan74, Jul 29, 2016.

1. DanDan74

DanDan74 New Member

Hi all,
    Been debating colours for our hall stairs and landing for the past couple of weeks and we've decided on a crown paint from the retail 'hall and stairs' range which looks to be an equivalent to the dulux 'endurance' (washable / scrubbable etc).

I spoke to Crown decorating centre and they've said they can mix the colour we want in something called their 'clean extreme' range, which they said is far superior to the paint you can buy in the usual shops.

Does anyone have experience of either the 'hall and stairs' or 'clean extreme' ranges? And if so, would you recommend?

Thanks
    Dan

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Where is Astramax!

Never used the Crown clean extreme,it is a colour paint is mixed to order, make sure you get enough mixed for the job.
    Because I knew some who had their colour choice made at two different Crown Decorating centres & their was a very slight variation between them, & it was noticeable.
    Crown were very good & sorted the problem.:)

3. Whitling2k

Whitling2k Member

I have just painted my stairs and landing with Crown Clean Extreme Trade and it was really nice to work with and tough as hell on my test-plasterboard off-cuts. I'm not sure if the non-trade Clean Extreme is the same, I only buy crown 'trade' now after a few bad batches from the Sheds.

The finish is beautiful and my dark grey covered newly plastered wall in one coat - I put a second to improve the finish and cutting in, but didn't 'need to'. It was covering a white matt wall, misted with 50:50, then 60:40, 75:25 and finally 90:10 white matt.

One word of caution - my local crown centre couldn't mix tester pots of the scrubbable matt, so I had to get their standard matt vinyl matt - which is quite different to their Clean Extreme.

My green (Sage something or other) looked colder and lighter, so I actually ended up settling for standard Vinyl Matt.

The grey initially looked way too dark, but they lifted it by 2-3 shades in their mixer and it ended up perfect, albeit not the same as the tester pot.

It's not cheap, and the colours didn't match the testers or the colour cards too well - so ask for discount and see if you can check the colours with your testers/colour cards and a piece of primed plasterboard before you leave the shop. The York Clifton Moor Crown decorating centre are helpfull and friendly (I'm nit affiliated, but work round the corner and I've ended up buying all my paint from them after said dud batches)

Whitling

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Why would you need to mist coat a wall 4 times, all at differant ratios using white emulsion and then paint it gray ?

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Doh! you just can't tell some people especially when it's so obvious why :rolleyes:;)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I must be missing the point then Astra

Please enlighten me as I just can't fathom it it

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Wanted to make the white emulsion go further! ;):D:p

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Eh ????
    But then painted it grey ?

I must have lost my sense of humour this evening

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

10. Whitling2k

Whitling2k Member

Because I was left with a perfect final coat, wanted a good foundation and would rather spend money on cheap white matt than expensive clean-extreme.

It looks great - there are always different ways of doing things - I wanted to get a perfect finish, and I have read that the best finish is from slowly working up to a full thickness final coat.

Matt white = £7 for the three coats
    Trade clean-extreme = £40 for two...