Customers from somewhere in hell.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Ryluer, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

What do you say to a customer who says to you.....

"If you were doing it for yourself you would make a far better job of it"

I know a contractor who tells his customers "pay peanuts and you get monkeys" to their faces when they complain about anything. I'd imagine that would shut them up.
    Maybe not good for repeat business though.

2. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I'd say, " Yes, but I'd be paying myself a lot more than you are paying me!"

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

FatHands and caveman bulider like this.
  3. Well, it all depends if that's true or not :)

If it isn't, I'd simply say "I only work to one standard."

If what they said is true, I'd reply "I've chust done it to the standard of the rest of your sh**y house..."

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2014
  4. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Who wants that kind of repeat business?

FatHands likes this.
  5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I'd say, "true, but you couldn't afford that, so you got this". :)

FatHands likes this.
  6. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Classic :D

7. Hank

Hank Member

I must admit that I've often thought this myself!

If your attitude is doing the job according to what you get paid for it, then that's what you get. If, on the other hand, your attitude is to always do the best job you can, then your customers will recognise that. If you think you're not getting enough money to carry your work out properly then charge more money or just don't bother and find a different job.

Simples

8. Hank

Hank Member

Unless you've given 2 quotes of course - 1 low one for a **** job and 1 for a decent... ;)

9. Phil the Paver

I was only joking, all my jobs are done to a standard I'd do for myself.

My standards are really low. :p:p:p:p:p

10. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Lets be honest most plumbers, decorators never get around to sorting out their own houses, often the worst bodges! To be fixed when there's time to get around to it:eek:

11. Phil the Paver

This is so true, my own extension still isn't finished, I only started it 5 yrs ago. :oops::oops:

12. gadget man

gadget man Screwfix Select

Took me 12 years to replace a length of skirting I had taken off when putting a wardrobe in an alcove...:(

13. Matt holmes

Matt holmes New Member

I would say, "how do you know", I have been known to walk off a job when you bid it and things keep getting added on for the same price. i don't think so, the old saying the customer is always right is a bit of a fallacy, because customers can be horrible too!

14. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

A proper quote that adequately covers your time, costs and future investment in new business/advertising will sort the the wheat from the chaff.

I am constantly surprised by lads who go in after cutting themselves to the bone and then get whittled because they are working for minimum wage. Don't ever under sell yourself.

I call it the Friday night drive. Job done, final payment made and everyone is happy. It's a good feeling, get in.

Another point worth bearing in mind. Very often customers are having work done for the first time. They have no experience, nothing to judge you against. Of course they feel apprehensive. Be helpful but be firm with them. Have a properly drawn up method and list of what will be done when. If there are any extras make it plain that they will have to go onto the quote and they will be paid for.

Remember females are concerned about the following, their kitchen, bathroom, bedroom in more or less that order. Men tend to be more concerned about their garage. Men who say the wife's been complaining are usually weak as pxxs and using their wife as an excuse. Most women hate confrontation but a minority just love it.

If you make a mistake admit and PUT IT RIGHT.

FatHands likes this.