Cutting a cast iron soil pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Deleted member 25896, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Am replacing a bathroom suite. Current WC sits on a wooden plinth as the branch from the soil stack is so high. The branch is also at quite a steep angle so I reckon that I can cut it back so it becomes the standard height. I was going to use a disc cutter to cut the pipe but thought I'd check with those with more experience if there is a better way. Is there any danger of the disc cutter cracking the cast as that would be a disaster as the stack is entirely built in. I'm hoping the internal bore of a cast pipe will fit a standard pan connector or if not I was going to use a rubber coupling to convert to plastic. Thanks for your input.

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I would try a hacksaw first, its painfully slow but saves all that noise, sparks and after smell that lingers on all day, don't be tempted to hit it with a hammer when you are almost through, the inside diameter of the soil varies but multikwic make sizes to fit,

3. An angle grinder with a metal blade will cut most of it, you need access all around the pipe.
    A sthil saw with a 300mm blade might nearly do it.
    Dont forget the safety glasses and dust mask.

4. I don't fancy a hacksaw but perhaps my side kick will! Thanks for your replies.

5. jasethebuilder

jasethebuilder New Member

Use a reciprocating saw with a metal blade, goes through like butter with no vibration to compromise your stack, an angle grinder is not the way to go, too many sparks and too much vibration. Use a rubber slip connector to connect your new waste pipe.

6. hibeealex

hibeealex Member

Tom's told you the way to go, as everybody has a hacksaw, it takes about 30 mins of sawing but there's no mess or sparks, then just get a 3 1/2" pan connector if its a small un' or a 4" if its standard

7. Thanks again for the replies. In the interests of balance I'll go for the reciprocating saw and the hacksaw. Starting Monday so if the stack collapses I'll be back!!

8. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

don't be tempted to hit it with a hammer when you are almost through, So speaks a voice of experience eh tom ! It's very tempting to try your luck with this one! Tappy,

9. Just for info, started with the reciprocating saw but ran out of blades (even though we used cutting paste) but found the hacksaw to be more effective. When I say "we" I mean my oppo as I was suddenly busy elsewhere. So hats off to Tom, hacksaw is the way to go.

10. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

thanks no home, if you would be so kind as to donate a small amount maybe £1 or 2 you could make a differance to some suffering children,

thanks, :)

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator

11. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

What difference will £1-2 make to a poor kid?
    Why can't you ask him to donate £10-50 instead? That will make a change and will be a genuine gesture of appreciation for help you gave him.
    Fink of haw much my likes wuud av charged him to do the cutting?
    NoOhm2Go2, be a gent & slide in £10 to tomasplumbums charities!
    There is a guud bouy. Well done son