cutting a high gloss door - possible or not?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by seneca196, Feb 26, 2010.

1. seneca196

seneca196 Member

Hello folks,

Does anyone know if it is possible to cut a high gloss door (white slab) to reduce it's height. We've changed our layout a bit, but in doing so have a 500mm wall unit that needs to be trimmed down by approx 200mm. Is it possible to do and leave a decent, straight finish. The cut edge will be on top with the pelmet close above it. I'm not sure whether the hinge will need to be moved down, but imagine so (I'll cross that bridge later.) I'm a reasonably competent diyer, but always find I get a cleaner/straighter cut with a hand saw than a jigsaw/circular saw. I imagine the gloss layer will chip and splinter. What do you reckon?
    (pity I can't take the door down to my local b&q and get them to do it! they cut laminate worktops really well.)

2. spanners2001uk

spanners2001uk New Member

I would'nt do it myself!! High gloss mmm, I would put the door upside down and use a circular saw with a nice sharp blade. Ow and good luck

3. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Yes it cuts fine with a fine toothed circular saw, cut face down, its just a question of how you are going to finish the cut edge.

4. would cut it close with saw, then finish the last few mm with a router to get a nice clean line.

5. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

hiyer a plunge saw still cut it face down no need to router the last bit, then edge it with edging tape to match even if it is going up high! ;)

6. fuster

fuster New Member

Either use a router or clamp it between two pieces of mdf and cut through all three, the mdf on both sides (if clamped nice and tight) will protect the door from breakout. Whatever people say about plunge saws it's still hard to get a really clean cut unless you know what you're doing, and even then a router will give a far better finish.

7. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

I have cut down white high gloss end panels before. As others have said, cut upside down and use a fine sharp blade in a circular saw.

8. seneca196

seneca196 Member

better start practicing with the circular saw then. Does the mdf need to be a particular thickness? how about this blade

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/85133/Blades/TCT-Circular-Saw-Blades/Titan-TCT-Saw-Blades/Titan-TCT-Circular-Saw-Blade-80T-216x20-25-30mm#reviews

Hopefully that can give me a clean finish and I won't need to use the router (b&d old xmas present - used once!) Having said that, I did see a bit that was meant for trimming laminate

I have a few end panels that also need doing and hopefullly i can use this same blade with them. On end panels should I start with the back end first?

9. mick761

mick761 New Member

why can't you take it to B&Q ?

personally i'ld router it, seal with PVA then edging strip

10. wuddy

wuddy Member

ive only ever cut 1 on a built in vanity
    i used a plunge saw and cut it upside down and it still left some fine chipping so as said above i would recommend finishing off with a router, you would have to plunge through the right hand side working from the face of the door to avoid it breaking out

11. seneca196

seneca196 Member

why can't you take it to B&Q ?

I always thought they only cut stuff bought in store (and then only when the receipt is shown. ) Having said that there's a timber merchant near me in south birmingham who might do it. Could always ask.

Re - routing it. Are you chaps suggesting i cut it with the router or just use it to tidy the edge? What's the right bit to use?

12. mick761

mick761 New Member

Use a twin flute router bit, doors are only mdf 18mm or 22mm so it will whizz through. As for the size of the bit...i fit kitchens and i know a 12.7mm will be ok but not sure how small you can go. It's up to you if you trim it first, but a staright cut with the router should suffice. Don't cut the full depth in one go...rule of thunb..one cut for half the diameter of the router bit.

13. wuddy

wuddy Member

rule of thunb..one cut for half the diameter
    of the router bit.

that only realy applied for a 12.7mm

i.e you could not remove 12.5mm in one pass with a 25mm bit
    and you could remove more than 3mm with a 6mm bit

14. flyingscotsman

flyingscotsman New Member

They are suggesting routing to tidy the cut, if you go down that road don`t forget to nick the exit edge to avoid breakout.

15. mr.kitchen

mr.kitchen New Member

Depends whether its a paint spray finish or the cheaper plastic film type. As long as you are aware of the finish you can cut and edge accordingly.

16. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

Being as the OP has bought it from B&Q then, It's the standard high gloss white slab doors, plastic coated...
    How would he cut it accordingly if it were one or the other??

17. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

JUst cut it with a circular saw! Easy ! Job done!

18. woodsey2k

woodsey2k New Member

use a festool plunge saw with guide rail newblade and splinter guard and away you go, pukka finish!

19. seneca196

seneca196 Member

door is from Wickes Glencoe range. I think it's a vinyl wrapped down, but not sure. Doesn't look painted.

Don't really want to buy a load of new tools (plunge saws etc) for 2 doors and a couple of end panels. Can't see me using them again. As I have a cricular saw and router, I'd rather get a better blade and bit.

20. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

As before Sen, just get a fine blade for your circular saw. If there's any chipping, you could either sand using sandpaper and a sanding block or you could even run a block plane across the cut edge.
    I usually mark the line the saw's going to take with a stanley knife then cut from the other side. Don't forget if your using the circular saw, to set the blade depth so it's just about 5mm or so through the door. ;)