Cutting and Shortening a Newel Post Recessed in Plaster Wall

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by PeterOR, Mar 26, 2015.

1. PeterOR

PeterOR New Member

I need to shorten a wooden 4x4in newel post which is partly recessed into a plaster wall. Is there an easy way of cutting through it without taking the wall down?
    Thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

FatHands likes this.
  3. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Kiab - those Saxton blades look good (and a fair bit cheaper than the Bosch ones). Have you used them?

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Very good blades, use them all the time, I find the mixed blade packs are good value.

FatHands likes this.
  5. PeterOR

PeterOR New Member

The newel post is about 100mm thick, with about 20mm sunk in the plaster. I don't think a long reach Saxton blade would be long enough - does anyone do a longer multitool blade? My multitool is a Black & Decker.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can't you cut into newel from the front & both sides?

Other way is to reduce it down with hand saw half way & finish off with multi tool.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Should be able to cut with a handsaw as near to the wall as possible, chip that lump off, then saw from the centre out, with the far tip of the saw, then the other side centre out, and should be left with 2 x 20mm in corners which can be chiselled off.
    If you were a window fitter...........

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Sabre saw.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Thought about sabre saw, but dimissed the idea due to blade flexing, neater finish with hand saw.