Cutting corners

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by gordy1, Apr 30, 2015.

1. gordy1

gordy1 Member

Hi all, can anyone advise on rounding off the corners of my solid wood beach worktop, it's 40mm thick, have tried it out with a jigsaw on an off cut but it doesn't look to good,I posted about this sometime ago but can't seem to find the replys, I think someone mentioned a router, can anyone advise on this please,

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

You can cut it rough with a jigsaw then smooth it out and round it off using a sander (belt sander works best) This is what I have done in the past. ;);)

3. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

A router using a template is the best bet. Most worktop jigs have different radiuses for this reason. You can jigsaw it as John suggests. If you have very sharp chisels you can pare it to tidy it once the jigsaw has cut the bulk off or belt sand.

4. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

On the basis that help offered needs to be that which is simple and affordable............

A stanley knife following the curve of a plate down to about 2mm or so, to give the initial tidy corner. Then a fret saw (£5-10) to cut out the stock and abrasive to get the finish.

5. JamieTheJoiner

JamieTheJoiner New Member

Router and make a jig mate.

6. gordy1

gordy1 Member

Thanks for all your replies, I have had a go on a piece of waste worktop by using a jig saw, it cuts the corner out ok but leaves a sort of shoulder at the start & finsh end, this I hope will be able to sand down when I get the confidence to do it to the worktop,don't really want to invest in a jig & router, have only three corners to do, & would be a big outlay to just put away & not use it again!!,

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Jigsaw you done. Then belt sander.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

After using the jigsaw staple coarse sandpaper to a length of 3"x1" and sand it with a rocking action opposite to the curve.
    I know what I mean but I can't explain it very well.

9. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I know what you mean Chippie. When I was an apprentice,I heard it called "American filing". When you wanted to file a round surface, you actually rocked the file away from it. Seemed to work. :confused:

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

But if you had never heard of it could you work it out from my description. It does work though.

11. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I think so Mate, but dead difficult to describe in words without a demo. Basically, for sanding/filing a convex surface, you file/sand as tough you are working on a concave surface.......Bloody impossible to describe in words !!!! :(

12. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

Yeah that's right, depending on what you have available ( usually with me is parting beading), just wrap a length in some abrasive and you have a lot more oomph to doing the sanding.