Cutting extractor chimney

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by candoabitofmoststuff, Jan 12, 2015.

1. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Folks,
    New kitchen to be fitted shortly
    We're still deciding which extractor to buy, but it will probably be a chimney type.
    Depending on the EXACT positioning of this, horizontaly speaking, I may have to shorten the chimney (because of an "I" beam) ...

If the beam ends up being in the way, (and I suspect it will!), I'll have to cut he chimney to about 55cm total height

Is this likely to be;
    a) difficult. (I'm thinking hacksaw or jigsaw or angle grinder??)
    b) an issue regarding the height of the mechanic of the extractor within the chimney. ( i.e how far up the chimney does the extractor gubbins actually go?)

Thinking of either of these two, at the moment;

http://www.diy-kitchens.com/product...chimney-hood/hc5690-m/wp1019413/#.VLO1f9KsUbs (prefer the look f this one!)

or

http://www.diy-kitchens.com/product...chimney-hood/dk4490-m/wp1019415/#.VLO1eNKsUbs (Cheaper!)

Thanks in advance for any comments!

Regards,

Cando

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  2. GrahamTaylor

GrahamTaylor Active Member

If cutting a extractor chimney or anything else made of sheet steel I clamp a piece of scrap wood (e.g 9mm ply) to the inside and then clamp that to the bench. Mark the line with wide masking tape and then draw line on that. Cut into the sandwich using a brand new blade. The wood helps to dampen out a lot of the vibration (and the awful noise!). Hacksaw is easiest but you will need to bend the offcut piece away to make room for the saw frame. You'll also need to move and reclamp the workpiece frequently to keep the cutting angle right - a hacksaw works best at a low angle so several teetth are in contact with the metal ant any time. Any rough edges clean up with a file.

I have had mixed results using a metal cutting blade on an angle grinder - some steels will 'blue' very easily and then you have a nasty looking patch that you can't do anything to get rid of. You have no idea how a particular piece will react until you try it so do trial cut first on a piece that will go in the bin anyway. Again, I always clamp it to a substrate that can be cut into.

As for the height of the mechanics - no idea .... give DIY a call and ask. They're generally pretty helpful.

3. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

tin snips best thing to cut with. disc cutter will blue the steel. Mechanical part of fan not too high most of "chimmney" is hollow to cover ducting. regards nigel

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I've always cut the stainless steel with an angle grinder, there are thin blades available so less heat will be generated.

Also it is advisable to remove the outer protecting film otherwise it will melt and be really difficult to remove, peel back about 100mm.

5. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Thanks to all.
    That's all really helpful.
    Regards,
    Cando.