cutting in

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by starlight tiles, Oct 8, 2007.

1. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

any tips or tricks on cutting in chaps.absolute **** at it.

2. dumbarton

dumbarton New Member

purdy have a video on their web page, hope this helps.

3. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

A good quality brush synthetic or pure bristle depending on preferance and paint type

A steady hand

Practice.

4. hoss

hoss New Member

The bigger the brush the better 2 or 3 inch and don't put to much paint on the brush and practice.

5. bobbie-dazzler

bobbie-dazzler New Member

Its such a difficult thing to explain, its better if its shown how its done.

Try and curve the brush as you are cuttin in, starting at one end, bringing the whole brush round till you get to the other end.

Get an old bit of card, or some paper, and have a practice, you will get the hand of it, but you need to practice a few times.:)

6. jcts

jcts Active Member

1. buy a good quality brush. i find pure bristle are much better for cutting in with. try using a 3" brush

2. thin you kettle down with a splash of water to make the paint more workable

3. cut in about 2 inch's away from the coving, ceiling line etc, so you have something for the brush to run along

4. then try and stipple your brush up to the line and glide it across in one quick motion

5. practice makes perfect

7. Lightning McQueen

Lightning McQueen New Member

Don't let your wife do it. Unless she's a decorator.

Asked my missus to tackle it once - looked like she'd done it with a sweeping brush.

8. NobbyC

NobbyC New Member

Sorry skil - I have to bite on this one.
    Could you entertain the possibility that not all wives are rubbish at cutting in? Or even that some women might be better at cutting in than their blokes? :)

N.

9. Welsh Decorator 42

Welsh Decorator 42 New Member

Instead of useing the width of the brush, use the side, (the thinest part) the bristles wil not spread out nearly as much, and will make life easyer for BOTH of you!

10. Telmay

Telmay New Member

Dont have a Mrs anymore, so I have to cut in myself, hang on a thought is "Im with Stupid" my ex-Mrs just here on the windup?
    Oh and dont let them cut your hair either!

By the way some wives are very good at lots of jobs, just that we all have different talents to each other and its not good to stereo type - does that get me off the hook Bobby and GCat?

11. Welsh Decorator 42

Welsh Decorator 42 New Member

What! GCat is a Laydiee!

By eck!

So you reckon that IWS might be someting to do with you after all!????!!!!!!

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

A little LESS care helps. Really.

A tentative approach makes it harder to achieve straight lines.

Whack it on without worrying, you'll find it much easier.

Practise on a bit where you can wipe off your overbrushing, like cutting in emulsion near gloss. Do it faster and you'll find you don't get as much mess as you though you would.

Some brush in one direction slowly, some brush in both directions quite quickly(getting nearer with every swipe), and that(to me) seems most effective.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

13. cross@thelights

cross@thelights New Member

oh and with cutting-in remember and keep breathing ..years ago i remember hearing of a young apprentice who fell off the plank whilst cutting in.. because he got dizzy holding his breath...... i still got the scar.. :eek:)

14. Telmay

Telmay New Member

Have not seen you here for ages Cross, hope all is well mate