Cutting Melamine Chip Board

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Lyle, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Lyle

Lyle New Member

What blade is best for cutting melamine chip board ? I found a clip on youtube and the chap gets very good results on a Freud Double Sided Laminate/Melamine 80 tooth blade. But I see screwfix don't sell it. Whats available from the screwfix shop that gives similar good results ?

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

As many teeth as you can get but it still may chip. The proper saws have 2 blades, one cutting a score from below and another cutting from above.

3. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

I wouldn't discount a blade just because Screwfix does not stock it. Most of us use Screwfix but not exclusively.

4. njm

njm Member

Getting a good cut is down to many factors, as many people have said-the more teeth the better.A multi-material blade will cut perfect as long as you cut face down and set the depth just right so the teeth only prottude by a few mm, also your if your saw is only a small diameter blade or not very powerfull motor it will start to struggle, the blade will slow down and start to burn instead of cut and go blunt increasing the chances of a rubbish cut. Another thing to mention is unless your using a saw with guide rails then again you might struggle as the natural twist of pushing the saw unevenly can chip even if only a fraction of a mm.

5. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

Buy yourself a festool ts55 plunge saw with festool fine tooth blade ;)

6. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

I see Screwfix are even stocking festool gear now!!!

7. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

How long before we start seeing them in B&Q? :confused: