Damp resistant shed bearers?

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Philde, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Philde

Philde Member

I have always used something like 2X2 timber as floor bearers when constructing a new shed. If using either slabs or a concrete base, that of course brings the subject of damp to mind and the obvious way has always been either damp membrane in concrete or some kind of damp membrane between the slabs and the bearers, not ideal of course as easily bridged.
    What comes to mind, with all the modern materials about these days is using some kind of damp proof 2X2 bearers, i.e. some kind of material that is both impervious and unaffected by damp. The bearers being both supportive and the damp membrane as well. Anyone know of anything? Lengths of solid 2X2 plastic comes to mind but would no doubt be expensive even if you could get it. Is there anything on the market or is it a Dragons Den moment for someone (not me though :) )

Phil...

PS sorry for quoting sizes in old money!

2. Buildings are still built with DPCs and DPMs so they are good options. Waterproof concrete used for basement construction is also a choice - maybe an overkill for a shed.

The trick is to ensure the bearers are just short of the width of the shed so any driving rain coming off the sides of the shed will drip onto the ground.

I like to screw EML (mesh) on the ends of the bearers to ensure adequate ventilation and to keep out leaves and rodents.

Philde likes this.
  3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Best I can suggest is aluminium hollow section square bars. Can be screwed through floor into the hollow.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Philde likes this.
  4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

6. Philde

Philde Member

Wow folks, many thanks for the replies, lots of options, really like the recycled plastic bit, seems to tick all the boxes I was looking for. Just need to work out the most economical source.

Cheers

Phil...