Damp through single skin wall (or up through floor?)

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by BasicKnowledge, Dec 14, 2008.

1. BasicKnowledge

BasicKnowledge New Member

I have just had a garage built, single skin detached, with a render on the inside

The build is great (and the buider is a really nice neat worker and he says i just need to seal the wall, which i have not done yet, but want to check if anything else and fdifficult to raise as he is not around much.

The damp is coming through one side of the build very badly. The worst of it appears on where the wall meets the floor, but it is also on patches along the wall. The problem is only on that one side, everywhere else looks fairly fine.

Any advice?

I have pictures and media

2. kaintheo

kaintheo New Member

Well what do you want to achieve?

I single skin wall isn't going to keep out the damp, that's why houses have a cavity wall.

3. BasicKnowledge

it's really quite bad (its not just a tiny bit), just want to stop it or achieve something close to stopping it.

4. kaintheo

kaintheo New Member

well if it's bad then you must have driving rain on that side, your only option is to use a masonry sealer like Thompsons water seal.

5. BasicKnowledge

My concern though is that the damp is majorly running down the bottom of the floor (where it meets the wall) so can't see how it is driving rain - am i drawing the wrong conclusion.

I can send an email of the picture if it helps

6. CheshireBuilder

CheshireBuilder New Member

what you should of done was sealed the inside walls with a bitchimen waterseal paint, then plastered it a single skin will inevitably let the damp in, the trouble you have now is that the render is done on the inside if you seal the outside you will trap the moisture in the walls

7. BasicKnowledge

but would the fact that the damp is particularly bad on the base where the wall meets the floor suggest a problem of water coming predominantly through the floor rather than the wall?

8. kaintheo

kaintheo New Member

yes it's possible, you can e-mail some pics to kaintheo@hotmail.com

Get some pics of the outside too.

9. conlan

conlan Member

what about if you roughcast the garage? Never done this myself but i think this could possibly help stop the water penetrating the brickwork.

10. CheshireBuilder

CheshireBuilder New Member

how was the floor done, was a vapour barrier put down? visqueen?

11. BasicKnowledge

Kaintheo: I have sent you a few pictures and a media file which i hope reach you well.

As said, the builder is great, but dont understand how the problem is happenning. It ha been very wet though!

I presume that some damp proofwnet under floor, but wasn't here when it was done

12. kaintheo

kaintheo New Member

well I,ve looked at the pics and it seems like a combination of damp at the floor abutment and through the walls.

Due to the amount I can only guess that the brickwork has been jointed badly and there is no DPC or membrane.

13. BasicKnowledge

thanks

so is that a builder error or mine? (in your opinion - won't quote you etc)

14. BasicKnowledge

all the other walls and floor in the garage is ok

15. kaintheo

kaintheo New Member

well if he has built it from scratch then his.

the bottom line is, a single skin won't keep out the damp.

16. BasicKnowledge

built from scratch - but could he say it is just cause it is single skin and i need to waterproof the walls

17. kaintheo

kaintheo New Member

yes,

as I,ve said, it's the wrong design to prevent damp penetration.

18. conlan

conlan Member

if its single skin and you cant live with the damp why not change it to a cavity. Get some lightweight block and build it up off the floor slab.If the slab is around 100 thk it should take the block no problem. Build the block up off visqueen and lap the visqueen up the first couple of block course.

19. Mr GrimNasty

Mr GrimNasty Active Member

If the problem is just the rain lashing it, then batten/membrane/clad the outside, upvc, shiplap, tiles whatever.

20. nigel

nigel Guest

The rain soaks the wall then runs down thru it till it reaches any dpc where it will then re-appear on the surface, single skin bad idea, rendering it internally a worse idea, trying to water proof it virtually impossible.