deadly bathroom

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by lady tenant, Jul 7, 2014.

1. lady tenant

lady tenant New Member

Hi everyone, please could you give me sone guidance.
    Sunday night when me and the kids moved Into our privately rented home. I put my 3 year old in the shower for the first time( she was holding the shower nozel) I popped out the room for a towl and heard her screaming. I ran back in and she was frantic saying she was being hurt by the shower pipe. I switched it off by the ceiling switch anx got her out ( she was very shaken). Iv called a electrician who came and checked the shower. He said the shower is fine but the metal shower hose is touching the copper water pipe. When he tested the water pipe with hes testing devise it was live when the ceiling mounted switch is switched on, so are the taps, the yoilet pipe, the radiator and anything else metal in the bathroom (but only in the bathroom) I donf think the water pipes have been earthed and the letting agent is making out that it must be my fault as he never had this problem with the last tenants. Hes going to send someone round but I think hes gonna try and parm me off with some more shoddy work. The electrician that I got round said he would start off with earthing the pipes but cant understand why its just happening in the bathroom. Im scared for my kids life and we havent been able to have a shower at home now for over a week. I would love to know some one elses opinion on it so I have some knowledge when goi g back to the letting agent ( he thinks im just a sill women im sure) . Sorry for the long post.

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Can't help as to why it's happening, but the electrician you have used, can he not confirm your suspicion with the letting agent.

Also don't let the agent drag their heels on this, they are renowned for not getting things sorted as I have found out with my daughter's agent, they have a legal responsibility for your safety while in their property.

3. lady tenant

lady tenant New Member

4. lady tenant

lady tenant New Member

I have passed the number of the electrician onto the agent but not sure what he will do with it. He just has this way of making me feel like im the course and being silly. I know he has to sort it but im scared hes going to not renew my rental agreement after 6 months if I keep onto him and iv spent such alot of time and money fixing it up.

5. lady tenant

lady tenant New Member

I want to know what to look out for and what to say when he gets hes electrican round so that I dont get fobbed off and it gets sorted.

6. Phil the Paver

I understand your fear re: re-newing your contract, but lets not mess about here, a new contract or your life????, thought so, so now let them know in no uncertain terms that if they do not sort this out, you will contact the local council, the HSA, and who ever it takes to get it fixed.

lady tenant likes this.
  7. Phil the Paver

A proper sparks will be along shortly I'm sure, they will tell you what relevant tests need to be carried out as to ascertain what is making the pipe work live.

lady tenant likes this.
  8. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Insist an Electrical Installation Condition Report is carried out on the property immediately. If one fault has been discovered, who is to say there aren't more.

lady tenant likes this.
  9. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

it's about time they added the requirement to have one to the L&T Act

lady tenant likes this.
  10. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

Change of tenancy electrics should be checked

lady tenant likes this.
  11. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Absolutely. It seems Joe Pulbic are quite aware of Gas safety, but not electrical safety.

lady tenant likes this.
  12. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

We always get our rentals checked out, but strictly I am not even sure if even a PAT test is a legal requirement. I think the actual legal position is the landlord is responsible if something goes wrong so any good landlord does it anyway. There should be a legal requirement to get the electrical system checked certainly at change of tenant, or yearly like the gas.

Certainly bad that there is obviously no cross bonding in the bathroom or the thing would almost certainly have popped a fuse or breaker long ago.

As said if he is that kind of landlord who wants to stay there? You are a long time dead no point in rushing into it!;)

lady tenant likes this.
  13. Phil the Paver

14. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

there is mention in L&T that the Landlord has a Duty of Care (which is a legal definition) so that's what could be used to force a Landlord to ensure that all potential dangers are removed/resolved immediately - so not just electrical hazards, any hazards especially those which present such an immediate danger as the shower appears to

FatHands and lady tenant like this.
  15. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

I would have thought, if there is enough to give a person a bit of a tingle. It should have tripped the RCD.

lady tenant likes this.
  16. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I don't believe none of it myself..

17. lady tenant

lady tenant New Member

I would have thought so too and thats another thing that worries me. Its a really old fuse board.

18. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Earth pipes/fuse board - live pipes when shower switched on, and not live when said switched off

The summarisation is that the PD is induced - induced showing on rad and all other pipes in bathroom when shower switch engaged - yeh righto wotever.

I rest my case.

Nice little story luv/geezer - but it wont fool me tbqh..:rolleyes:

19. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

Maybe there is no RCD in that case.

lady tenant likes this.
  20. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

Going by what you are saying it wants a full inspection and test. Give the council a ring and set the ball rolling after all a miffed landlord is better than boiled kids .......

lady tenant likes this.