Dealing with difficult people.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by tore81, Jan 15, 2017.

1. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

So the scenario is you try and help people

had an emergency got it sorted and try and give advice but they turn it around like it's your fault.

This aimed at the Mrs mostly, don't tell her:).

I get a call sat morning the water is coming through the ceiling so I rush over. Isolate the supply.

Then today I try and break it to her that a part we need will be difficult to match so maybe best to change the lot. Plus someone has boxed over the cistern bolts.

All of a sudden she stars saying half a job bob and going on like that.

Gees you try and help and you get that.

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Your Mrs or the Mrs of the household ????

3. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

my mrs lol

4. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

think I'm going to pay someone else even tho I can do the work myself lol

5. K Kahlon

K Kahlon New Member

make it rain

tore81 likes this.
  6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I'm confused how's your Mrs involved.

7. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

She is the akward person Phil.

Think I've had too many

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

This your ex mrs?

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Always frustrating mate. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Some women are more tolerant to work/mess in the home, others just explode the minute you get the tools out :rolleyes:

Must say though that my GF is pretty chilled when it comes to doing stuff around the home. Couple of years back on the run up to Xmas, I found myself with a few days free, so we decided to decorate her flat and fit laminate throughout.
    Got cracking, took all skirtings off, prepped walls, ceilings and remaining woodwork. Painted ceilings then started putting laminate down. Flying through the job, then neighbours/friends popping round everyday, many drinks consumed and 2/3 days work turned into about 2 weeks. Not quitethe military operation I'd hoped for , half finished floor over Xmas, bits of painting to finish, but she never complained once...we just thought it was funny.

wiggy and Joe95 like this.
  10. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Yes CGN

I didn't really want to say it but yes some women can be extremely difficult. Ive completed some big projects for the in laws lifting floor boards hacking plaster.

Then a little job with the Mrs I feel like I'm treading on ice and it's an intense job.

She would go bonkers if I left the floor on half. I agree you have to do it sometimes to get the job done its not ideal or professional but at home aslong as it gets done that's the main thing. And why not laugh at it.

I'm in a position now i would rather call a plumber to do a simple task as it's less head work. Good to know others see this tho :)

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Yep. What I said sounds a bit sexist, wasn't meant to...just in a playful way.
    Had a guy come to do some work for me. He wanted a new kitchen and asked if I could do it, even though he was quite capable of doing it himself. He just didn't want the agro from his other half.
    If you've got plenty of work coming in, and a bit stretched anyway, then get a plumber in to save the hassle. Always a networking opportunity and it may pay you back at some point :)

Anyway, doing a late one tonight...back to my tiling :)

tore81 likes this.
  12. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

T'is the same here. We agreed that as long as I tell my wife before I do anything, I'm 'allowed' to do jobs.

It works quite well, as she's happy it's done to how she likes and I can get on with it. Compromise is the key:).

CGN likes this.
  13. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I told my GF to move back to her mums while I renovated the house.
    5 years on and I still haven't finished. You know how things get in the way.
    Weekend GFs are the way forward :)

14. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Fitted a new bathroom suite in my ex wife's house about 9 yrs ago. She wanted new floorboards putting down at the same time. Measured up and I reckoned it would take 14 (allowing for wastage). Sadly at the end of the job I had one complete length left over. Never heard the bloody last of it for weeks. At least once a week she'd moan about the one left over (cost about £4) (good job I never told her that I'd bought 37 lost head nails too many) :p:p:p:p

longboat, tore81, wiggy and 2 others like this.
  15. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Tell her seeing as she's misplaced her gratitude at your prompt response, perhaps next time there's a crisis she can sort it herself....... And I thought it was only my missus who's an ungrateful cow with all efforts renovation related....., good luck with that mate.

tore81 likes this.
  16. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

That's the thing you help them out and they have the cheek to criticise.

You Help mates out and they can't be more greatful and by you pints.

Good to know it's not just me it happens too!

17. proby

proby Active Member

Perhaps you could lay a new patio and make a good job of the foundations ;) no more complaints.

18. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Very tempting!

That would solve the problem lol

19. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I don't get it. You help your wife out?

Isn't it your problem too?

Your house springs a leak, and you help your wife out ?

20. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Was just happy to sit there under an umbrella. :p:p:p:p:p:p:p

tore81 likes this.