Deciding on paint colour

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Iron_Mike, Jan 9, 2017.

1. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Don't forget to get this fitted before having your skirtings done :)

2. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Get the skirting on prior to laying the engineered flooring?

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Other way round

4. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Lol thanks

5. Mrmatt

Mrmatt New Member

Best thing I ever found was Pinterest. People upload photos of decorated rooms with usually a colour name, find a colour you like...Then search that colour on there and you will get that colour being used by other people to give you an idea of what it looks like in different light.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  6. Have to say I hate that website - because of the way it 'bullies' you into joining before you can see their stuff.

But I have to 'fess that many of the best images I've seen of décor lead that way. So, yup... :oops:

Astramax likes this.
  7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Go to the Dulux Trade website and use what use to be called the 'Mouse Painter', same but far better.:rolleyes:

Iron_Mike likes this.
  8. Local Grafters

Local Grafters New Member

Personally I would definitely go with neutral colors throughout the house with a rustic feel. Solid oak flooring (a bit expensive!) and also take a look at the Hudson range in Next they really set a nice theme with a neutral coloured house!

Iron_Mike likes this.
  9. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Thanks for that LG

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I set up a gmail account solely for Pintrest,etc.

Just going to dinning room here in Dulux Chic Shadow matt, a light grey, works well.
    Also got to relaid laminate, as a couple of boards have seperated for some strange reason, most annoying.:oops:

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

When I was a kid, you could tell where folks worked just by the colours of their house, fence or garage :) Shipworkers had lots of grey around, railway workers had a lot of brown and cream which by coincidence was the same colours GWR used.;)

12. Well, since everyone else is advertising/spamming on here, then - soddit - I'm going to do so too. 'Cos I do lots of decorating for folk in North Devon and even have my own shades of paints made up to order ( www.DAAwesomeDecorating.co.uk )

I agree, greys are the new whatsist.

My current range includes 'Boooger' and 'Heavy Cold'. For a warmer look with a hint of yellow, 'Deep Phlegm' is very popular.

And don't get me started on the rich dark-green tones of "Smoker's Last Gobbie".

The real beauty of my range is that I don't even need tester pots - I just face the wall and...

Dr Bodgit and CGN like this.
  13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Great company, used the mail order service last month, customer was after a 'Tan' colour and bought two shades 'Curious Tortoise' and 'Pampers' both had excellent opacity and covered very well, I am now tempted to go for the textured masonry paint in the shade 'Cell Block H' as I am told by the company rep that once on the wall it will not come off.

Deleted member 33931 and CGN like this.
  14. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Regarding our spammer mentioning Farrow and Ball, just take their colour chart and get it mixed by Dulux etc. Better paint and a lot cheaper :)

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Sense at last! ;)

16. Iron_Mike

Iron_Mike Active Member

Lol thanks lads.

My original post has appeared to be hijacked!

Astramax likes this.
  17. Yeah - sorry about that... :(