Decorative Metal Sockets

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by whammer, Aug 7, 2004.

1. whammer

whammer New Member

Hi all,

I'm swapping over the sockets in my living room from plastic to metal ones. They are Get branded, and in the packs are clear plastic gaskets. The instructions state that these should be placed between the socket and the wall, especially if the wall has been freshly decorated or plastered. Could someone explain the reason for this? When they are fitted the look terrible. Also it states that you should run an additional earth wire from the socket into the wallbox. Is this only for metal sockets? My existing sockets don't have such an earth.

regards,

Col

2. Tyewrap Tony

Tyewrap Tony Member

Ive fitted over 100 metal switches/sockets this year so here are my views on the subject.

Brass sockets can oxidize and go green if coming in to contact with damp or certain paints, so any gasket is giving a small bit of clearance between the surface and anything else.
    I've only fitted the more expensive types and they usually have a foam/soft material? backing.
    Also if the wall is not 100% flat it allows a good fixing.

I always earth the metal box, whether plastic or metal plate fitted, as this is an 'extraneous' metal part.
    Sure if its a plastic patress or cavity box the leave the Earth in a connector.
    I believe there is a guideline for this, just one of those things you know but don't know where from.
    Anyway I justify it by knowing that when screwing back the plate, if the grommet pops out and the insulation is cut into by the box, then rcd will trip.
    Otherwise you risk the plate screws becoming live.
    Oh, and the NIC inspector will probably pull you on it!

3. plugwash

plugwash New Member

this came up in a guidence note iirc

provided the box has at least one fixed lug and the socket has provision for earthing the screws (most do) you do not need an earth link

most still consider it good practice though

4. seylectric

seylectric New Member

I've always been a bit baffled by this, in fact I was going to start a thread:

The regulations state that the (metal) backbox must be earthed, and as far as I know you are supposed to provide an earth link between the earth terminal on the socket and the backbox.

But the socket screw on the fixed lug is effectively earthing the backbox so why is there a need to provide an additional link (assuming of course that the socket earth terminal does have provision for earthing the screws, and as plugwash says, most do)?

5. plugwash

plugwash New Member

this did come up in a guidence note though i can't remember which one

an earth link wire is not required (and you should connect earth wire directly to socket) provided the following are true:

1: the socket has an earthing bar on the back
    2: the box is not being relied upon to carry the earth (pyro/swa/conduit)
    3: the box has at least one FIXED lug

6. seylectric

seylectric New Member

That's exactly the way I understand it too, and that's why I'm baffled - on the odd occasion I have to provide an NICEIC certificate (yeah, I know), and as I am not an NIC member I have to have these jobs inspected by an NIC member.

There are three NIC guys that I occasionally use for this purpose, and all three insist that a separate earth link must be provided. WHY??? Nobody seems to know why...

7. plugwash

plugwash New Member

probablly just cering thier arses

imo its sensible to anyway though as it helps maintian protection in the event of damage

8. seylectric

seylectric New Member

Agreed, I always do it anyway. I'd still like somebody to clear up the issue though.

9. Milton Bradley

Milton Bradley New Member

Always run a earth loop wire between metal box and all socket plates.

10. Tyewrap Tony

Tyewrap Tony Member

Well as I said above, once you've stripped the cores of the outer pvc it is only singly insulated and the metal box can be construed as an 'extraneous' metal part.

I have pushed back sockets before and nicked a core on the back box and tripped the RCD. Not 'All' plate screws join to earth.
    Some sockets dont have the earth bar go that far.

An old Spark once told me 'You can never bond too much'.

11. Septic

Septic New Member

It is to do with the chemical reaction between the brass plate and the plaster which may have a partial component of lime simple chemistry. What type of sparks are we employing.

12. Septic

Septic New Member

You must be of the old school like myself

13. Septic

Septic New Member

see septic's rely

14. plugwash

plugwash New Member

Well as I said above, once you've stripped the cores
    of the outer pvc it is only singly insulated and the
    metal box can be construed as an 'extraneous' metal
    part.

I have pushed back sockets before and nicked a core
    on the back box and tripped the RCD. Not 'All' plate
    screws join to earth.
    Some sockets dont have the earth bar go that far.

An old Spark once told me 'You can never bond too
    much'.

the problem with bonding is that if you DO touch something live then a good earth path is going to be bad for you

and at least domestically bonding means bonding to the earth system or to stuff attached to the earth system

there is a good argument for earth free equipotnential bonding in the bathroom but it would require carefull appliacation to be safe

15. Tyewrap Tony

Tyewrap Tony Member

Yes Plugwash, I do agree that certain things should not be bonded.
    For instance, a metal free standing table in a kitchen if bonded is unnecessarily introduced into the electrical system.
    But I guess there is no right or wrong, just circumstances.

16. mskelec

mskelec New Member

It is to do with the chemical reaction between the
    brass plate and the plaster which may have a partial
    component of lime simple chemistry. What type of
    sparks are we employing.

no, it isnt.
    you wont get anything happening with a brass plated socket outlet and any lime that may be present in the building fabric.

an earth link has to be used only where there isnt a fixed lug present, as the knowledgable plug has already stated! after that its just best practice.

17. Damocles

Damocles New Member

Yes it is. This happens with mirrors too. Screw a silvered mirror to the wall in your bathroom and it starts to corrode. Certainly the damp helps, but i think there is also something in the emulsion paint. And with a nice earthed metal plate you may get exciting electrolytic effects too.

Ultimately though, those stupid plastic surrounds look awful and you might as well not have them and accept having to redecorate.