Defeated by the doorbell

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Smiffypro, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Smiffypro

Smiffypro New Member

Hello everyone, I appreciate any help you can give

I am at a loss and before I start, I know I should've labelled the wires before - lesson learnt!

I have a mains wired doorbell, 4 wires (presumably a pair from the transformer, pair from the push button). I have. I idea where these should be wired to. I only have one push at the front door.

I have only managed to get as far as making it work with 1/2 wired together and 3/4 wired together and with it not wired to the F and it only dings when pressed.

I am probably missing something obivious, but I am at a loose end with it now.

Any help appreciated

Jamie

Attached Files:

2. Well, this is gonna be a piece of cake!

Chust give me a minute whilst I Google the answer for you.

.........hmmmm........uuuuhhhhh.........

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGH!

At this point I want to find the Friedland designer and stamp on his fingers - he should not be allowed to lift a pencil ever ever again.

Jeepers.

Ok, disconnect your wires, 'cos I suspect what you are doing at the moment is placing a short-circuit across the transformer so it 'dings' (the solenoid 'relaxes') when you press the button and SHORT CIRCUIT the trannie. Not good...

Are you going to use this bell with batteries as well? Do you HAVE batteries to test it with?

First things first - you need to work out which one of these cables is the power supply and which is the push button. Do you have a test meter? One that'll measure AC volts? If yes, place it across each pair in turn and read.

If not, get a torch bulb and place it across each pair very briefly - see which one lights it up.

Or, very briefly brush the bare wires together - see which ones spark.

Then label the bar stewards...

Ok, I think that the push button goes across 1 and 2, and the AC supply goes to 0 and T3. But I don't know for sure.

I would certainly stop joining these wires together...

If you have batteries to test it with, then fit them and try bridging 1 and 2 with a wire or paperclip or summat - see if it goes DING and then ****...

3. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Who put the pen marks on the wires, maybe they're a clue as in 1 mark on number 1, 2 marks on number 2 etc. ???

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

0 & 3 looks like transformer input.

6. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

That's 5 loose ends then lol

Kind regards