Dewalt batteries coming to end of life

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by sospan, Sep 20, 2015.

1. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I have a collection of 18v (XRP batteries) and 28v Dewalt tools . The tools are all still working well but since they must be between 6-8 years old the batteries are all starting to have reduced charge time.

It is that difficult choice - buy replacement batteries that are £40+ each or start investing in new ones?

Its not made easier by the offers on the low end DeWalt drills (Screwfix doing drill and 2 batts + charger £99) at the same price you could buy two old style batteries. The trouble is even buying bare units of the the usual tools - decent hammer drill circular/jig/sabre saws etc. does start getting a bit pricey

It is bit like having an old car when do you stop ploughing in money and move to something newer.

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If they aren't LIon batteries I would upgrade.

KIAB likes this.
  3. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Yeah, can only agree with Chippie. Bite the bullet & ditch 'em. I've got an old Makita with NiCads. That's what I intend doing. :(

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

They are the old NiCads. I have had many good years out of them and they have plenty of life left. You know what its like holding on to stuff

Guess it will be up on ebay. I just hate having to deal with the idiots who contact you "That 18v impact driver you have listed what voltage is it ?" "I need to drill into my wall will your hammer drill do it"

I just need to convince myself (and wife) to part with the money.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The latest Li-Ion batteries puts the old Ni cads to shame, have a look at Dewalts 18V XR Li-Ion Brushless range
    there Hammer Drills, Impact Drivers, Nailer, etc,etc.

http://www.dewalt.co.uk/brushless/

Seen them at a Dewalt day at a Screwfix branch, the brushless range are far superor to the old brush motor range.

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I have been thinking of getting rid of a lot of the hand power tools for sometime. It is strange how many you "acquire" over time - i have ended up with 4 SDS drills of varying sizes, 3 huge DeWalt belt sanders, multiple routers, palm sanders etc. Not a particular fan of DeWalt its just ended up that most of it is what I have.

Making a list of the power tools used most often there isn't a lot it is just hand circular saws, routers, sanders and the combi drills and impact screw gun. Things like biscuit machines, table and chop saws run in batches

swapping out my Dewalt circular saws (rail, battery and mains) and going for the Festool. Just have a battery Festool saw and some of their rails.
    Same with the routers getting rid of the ones I have an going for Festool so I can use the same rails.
    Probably stick with the DeWalt 18v and combi drills and impact screwdrivers

any views

7. big all

big all Screwfix Select

all depends on your useage
    diy medium or heavy trade use
    heavy trade you can save a fortune time wise
    diy or light trade 2 generic batteries a minimum 2ah will do you well

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

It is the extreme end, because I tend to work mostly alone on a wide range of skills. tools make up for the lack of hands. the Underwriters queried the value of my tools on my insurance.

9. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Li-lon drills are good from the "memory" point of view , but am I the only one that gets P***** off when they just die without warning!
    There you are up a ladder, crouched in the corner of the loft, or worse still having grabbed the drill to go and do a quick job up 6 flights of stairs that just needs a couple of holes, and it stops dead, at least the old ones could be coaxed to finish the hole but not these ones!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

KIAB, Ray Retired and Rulland like this.
  10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Especially when your using a Li- ion lamp in the loft, & you have to fumble in the dark across joists to speck of light coming through the hatch opening at the other end of the loft:mad::rolleyes:

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Worn me down didn't take much. Well it looks like I am going to be flogging quite a bit of kit on ebay

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

But they have kept full power for longer and after 5 mins on a charger you can get some use off them.
    I know what you mean though, I thought I had broken mine the first time.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Trouble I find with Li-lon batteries, is they last so long between charges, I tend to forget to charge them, then get caught out.:oops:

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I only have two Li-ion tools and three batteries...

15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

That was my original gripe with the NiCads have more batteries than tools. whilst the tools are ok the batteries are f.....

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You do need at least one more battery than you have tools.

17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I received a flyer from Toolstop on interest free deals on Makita and DeWalt and went online to check if they were a good deal. Now i am used to getting freebies with power tools mugs, t-shirts, etc. wasn't prepared for what came with the last one ..... or should I just buy Makita?

upload_2015-9-22_22-54-3.png

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And if you go through Quidco to Toolstop there about 4% cashback as well.

19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Thanks, I usually use TopCashback, never used Quidco and will have a look.

Is the enlargement advice included via Quidco ?... mind you plenty of people have called me a big * in the past, I think they meant something else though

Edited due to unsuitable language

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2015
  20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I hop between the two, depending who gives the best deal at the time.