Did I just nearly electrocute myself

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Deke, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Deke

Deke Member

I'm going to look like the idiot of the day but I was removing an electric shower switch from my bathroom ceiling so removed the fuse from the fuse box. The electric shower no longer worked and the red ON indicator on the shower no longer lit up. So I proceeded to unlink the 3 wires from the box which was fine. I then went into the loft and had to pull the wire up and as I did so the whole electric in the house went off so I guess the wires touched when they were coming through the small ceiling hole. I thought taking the electric fuse out stopped the supply to that circuit so I am freaked out that the power to the house went off. Am I way off track and just had a close escape? I have now rewired the wires back into the shower switch box and left it in the loft with a label on and the fuse out of the junction box. Is this OK? Sensible advice please as I know some people will be itching to tick me off and tell me what a rodney I have been. Thanks.

2. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

You cant have isolated the right circuit. I take it you were using a VDE screwdriver.

3. PVG

PVG New Member

Are you sure there is not a main switch RCD. If so you just made Neutral and Earth touch and made the RCD trip.

4. pete267

pete267 New Member

Maybe its RCD protected and you caused N & E to touch

5. pete267

pete267 New Member

:) PVG, you beat me to it

6. clodhopper

clodhopper New Member

I take it you mean the main RCD on the CU tripped. This is quite normal and is caused by there often being a slightly higher voltage on the neutral than there is on the earth. Your neutral has touched the earth tripping the RCD. As I say quite normal, dont worry abot it.
    Having said that always, always test with a meter that everythings dead before touching - you'll live longer that way

7. clodhopper

clodhopper New Member

:) PVG, you beat me to it

and me. Shouldn't have waffled on so much I might have got in first :)

8. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

You Rodney you...:)

9. mark m.

mark m. New Member

Isolating the wrong circuit is a real possibility. There are many variables, which it is difficult to consider without inspection.

Also, your main incomer may be an 100mA RCD. It is possible that the conductors touched as they came through the ceiling, tripping the whole circuit. It is also possible that you tripped a 30ma RCD controlling the shower and possibly some other circuits.

Safe isolation with GS 38 equipment is of vital importance. Given you current situation it would be wise to get a professional in to removed the cover of the consumer unit and inspect and test. Please remember it only takes 50mA to kill.

Regards

Mark M.

10. mark m.

mark m. New Member

Was I slow!

Mark M.

11. Deke

Deke Member

Wow! I'm popular or has everyone just knocked off work ;)

I do have an RCD which tripped so it sounds like I'm panicking. I did wonder how nothing worked on that supply once fuse was removed yet it knocked the supply to the house out. Is it OK then to leave as wired back up in the loft with a label on it? Fuse in junction box removed and also labelled up too. Thanks all.

12. mskelec

mskelec New Member

Yep it'll be fine just like that :)

13. Deke

Deke Member

Thanks again.

14. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

But to answer your first and opening question,

YES, you DID nearly electrocute yourself :(

Mr. HandyAndy - really

15. mskelec

mskelec New Member

No, he didn't.

16. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

As Msk stated,

No he did not (how you gonna get an elerctric shock from an isolated supply?)

17. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Calm down lads...it's nearly Xmas..:O

18. clodhopper

clodhopper New Member

how would he electrocute himself with a transient neutral voltage?

19. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Sorry, but I thought that with the neutral and earth wires present and both connected to the board and therefore energised neutral, you are in danger of receiving a shock.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

20. andyspark

andyspark Active Member

Deke
    You didn't nearly electrocute yourself (more c**p from HandyPandy).

If the circuit had been live then there would have been a loud crack when the wires touched. I take it this didn't happen.
    When the rcd went there would have been a click and you probably wouldn't have heard it from where you were.

Always best to be careful though. Merry Xmas